Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 ej22 into 99 forester

Subruise

I have, in my driveway, a 99 forester S auto with the glittery oil. Ive already pulled the motor, and purchased a nice little 97 ej22 from a turbo swap project. 

As I said the Forester is an auto, but I haven't mentioned that the new engine is from a manual car and has an egr block off plate installed.

Are the intakes interchangeable? I dont think they are but this is my first time hands-on and im not tearing things down any farther than i have to.

Ive read a few threads and they said to swap throttle bodies/drivers side cam sprocket/crank sprocket. I believe the wiring needs to come over as well as splicing or modifying injector plugs. 

Id like some advice as to how its been done, what not to do, and how to keep cold idle and no CEL if possible.

thanks as always

this is not an easy swap.

and it will never be a CEL-free swap,

unless you swap the wiring harness and ECU.

just like a turbo swap.

auto vs. manual is way secondary to the phase 1 - 2 issue.

the 99 ej25 SOHC in the forester is a phase 2 engine.

the 97 ej22 is a phase 1 engine.

you can swap it and make it work,

but you will never get rid of the CEL.

so if you ever want ot resell the car,

or if you have to pass an inspection in your state,

do not swap.

details are available if needed.

Edited by johnceggleston

There is an easy way to make this work, you'll need to make an adapter plate to use the phase 2 throttle body with its integrated iacv bolt onto and flow into the phase 1 manifold. And also block off the phase 1 iacv. There still may be the egr issue, but from what I've seen the phase 2 engines don't always follow the same rules as phase 1 so yours may not have it. Another potential hurdle is IF you have to swap timing gears (some phase 2 engines use the same trigger pattern as phase 1, my mom's 04 outback does) the phase 2 timing belt is slightly narrower than phase 1 so the belt needed for this engine would be too wide.

I could continue if needed. But easiest way to use what you have already purchased is a set of 99-01 ej222 head gaskets and put the heads/manifold off the forester engine on the ej22e.

There is an easy way to make this work, you'll need to make an adapter plate to use the phase 2 throttle body with its integrated iacv bolt onto and flow into the phase 1 manifold. And also block off the phase 1 iacv. There still may be the egr issue, but from what I've seen the phase 2 engines don't always follow the same rules as phase 1 so yours may not have it. Another potential hurdle is IF you have to swap timing gears (some phase 2 engines use the same trigger pattern as phase 1, my mom's 04 outback does) the phase 2 timing belt is slightly narrower than phase 1 so the belt needed for this engine would be too wide.

I could continue if needed. But easiest way to use what you have already purchased is a set of 99-01 ej222 head gaskets and put the heads/manifold off the forester engine on the ej22e.

what do you reckon the engine runs like with the presumed drop in compression? either way, good point. also, if i did this can i use the ej25 intake...since the heads are already there?

Edited by Subruise

yes - intake matches the heads.

it should run fine if you're not super amped about peformance, steep grades and towing.  personality preference really - there's people driving old school 80's Subaru's with 80 hp and folks on newer car forums complaining about 180hp....

There isn't a matching port to accept the IAC airflow......you'd need an adapter thick enough to tap a hose barb into the side and run it over to the Old 2.2 IAC port......agian with a plate that the hose barb feeds into ........

Not really a big deal to just block it off.........After 30 secs~1 min warm up it doesn't need it anyhow.

Belt width????  NAhhh.......the Phase I and Phase II belts are the same thickness.......you must have used some off brands for your comparision not true Subaru/Mitsuboshi belts.

There isn't a matching port to accept the IAC airflow......you'd need an adapter thick enough to tap a hose barb into the side and run it over to the Old 2.2 IAC port......agian with a plate that the hose barb feeds into ........

Not really a big deal to just block it off.........After 30 secs~1 min warm up it doesn't need it anyhow.

Belt width????  NAhhh.......the Phase I and Phase II belts are the same thickness.......you must have used some off brands for your comparision not true Subaru/Mitsuboshi belts.

this is if I install the entire ej22 and not just the shortblock, right?

• 2 weeks later...

mk, one more question before this goes into action: which head gaskets do I use?

I read in another thread that a member had used ej22t composite (i.e. not mls) gaskets and I didnt see a part number. If I can get that number I can get this thing into daily mode with no CEL

Missed this before, but I meant to actually port the throttle body for the iacv port to flow into the throttle passage. and make a plate to adapt the throttle body to the older manifold. I have done this, and it does work. And I'm not the only one who has seen the belt width difference, it was first noticed by a member on legacycentral doing a wrx ecu swap on his ej22t using ej222 cam gears.

Anyways, there were no ej22t composite gaskets. Oem were MLS, I've seen some aftermarket gaskets say they're for the T bit coolant port pattern on their pictures are 22e. Not to mention they would leave you with a compression ratio of roughly 8.7:1.

• Like 1

i put a 91 2.2 in a 2003 impreza other day just the short block and used the 2.5 shoc heads and intake had to use 2.2 turbo gaskets and slightly modify them and the timing belt was a little tight had to trim the adjuster a slight bitt ran very good and still running no problems dident even notice any power diferance and the girl saved over 2000$ on the job 2.2 bottom end 500 $ 2.5 bottom end 2500$ and the 2.2 bottom end is way stronger

Missed this before, but I meant to actually port the throttle body for the iacv port to flow into the throttle passage. and make a plate to adapt the throttle body to the older manifold. I have done this, and it does work. And I'm not the only one who has seen the belt width difference, it was first noticed by a member on legacycentral doing a wrx ecu swap on his ej22t using ej222 cam gears.

Anyways, there were no ej22t composite gaskets. Oem were MLS, I've seen some aftermarket gaskets say they're for the T bit coolant port pattern on their pictures are 22e. Not to mention they would leave you with a compression ratio of roughly 8.7:1.

this is where I got my most recent notion of what to do with this thing. Could you load a pic or two of your setup? Id hate to tear down a perfectly good ej22 only to drop its compression, to say nothing of the extra money and time involved. Besides, who knows what shape the 2.5 heads are in...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Subaru-OEM-Head-Gasket-Pair-EJ22-99-01-Impreza-99-Legacy-NEW-NR-/230801303335?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bcd46727&vxp=mtr

I read further, and here is the head gasket set needed to put sohc 2.5 heads on a 2.2 block.

If I can machine my way out of needing this option I will be doing that instead, but heres a resolution to at least one question

Subaru Part Number:  GSKT-CYL HEAD 11044AA542