Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hot air intake system not working. help...

Ok so while changing my oil i discovered that there was a place where a air duct tube obviously used to go. after checking my repair manual, my suspicions were confirmed: it was my hot air intake system, long disconnected before it came under my family's ownership. This explains why my car hates cold mornings.

Anyways, as i was looking into buying a new duct hose, a terrifying thought crept into my mind; the thought was that the last owner disconnected it because it was not working. I decided it would be worth a $10 hose to find out if it worked or not so i went ahead and installed it this evening. after getting up to running temp, i stopped, opened the hood and to my horror the baffle in my air cleaner box that is supposed to open when It gets to running temp was still closed, sucking the warm air from the exhaust manifold instead of the cooler air from the outside :banghead:  :horse: . So what should I do to fix this, so that the baffle opens and shuts when its supposed to?

Edited by Sapper 157

someone can surely guess since i'm not familiar with that flap so it probably means carb or EA81?  but you may want to say what engine or vehicle you're working on?  EA81, EA82, carb, FI?

why not just leave it as is?  kevin on subaruxt.com (and here) was getting quite a bit of backlash from installing a "hot air" style air filter from folks saying it would hurt.  he dyno'ed it and i think it didn't hurt or even showed slight gains, suggesting the simple "hot air"/"cold air' notions don't really hold water all the time for every situation.

i don't think it'll matter but can't you just fix whatever isn't working.  repair the mechanic thing not working, the wiring keeping it from working, or the controls (relay, switch, sensor) that are inoperative?

Edited by grossgary

someone can surely guess since i'm not familiar with that flap so it probably means carb or EA81?  but you may want to say what engine or vehicle you're working on?  EA81, EA82, carb, FI?

Wow i am tired. I totally forgot to include my engine info, lol. yeah its an EA81 w/ hitachi carb

Can you move the air door by hand?

I've had a few that were stuck due to non-use.

If it does move by hand, will it stay open if you plug the vac hose going to it?

Bad diaphram it it don't stay.

There is a temperature controlled vac switch in the filter canister.

It should open/close with cold/warm temp changes.

Check all vac hoses for good condition/ no leaks.

• Like 1

Can you move the air door by hand?

I've had a few that were stuck due to non-use.

If it does move by hand, will it stay open if you plug the vac hose going to it?

Bad diaphram it it don't stay.

There is a temperature controlled vac switch in the filter canister.

It should open/close with cold/warm temp changes.

Check all vac hoses for good condition/ no leaks.

Thanks, Tom. I'll check all that stuff out after school today.