Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since there's no axle disconnects on a subaru, all the rear driveline will still be spinning even if you put the fwd fuse in. So you don't gain anything.

It's also argued that giving full duty cycle to the C solenoid is bad and will burn it up, I dunno if it's true or not, but just leave it in awd.

4wd or Fwd?

Big difference.

In some countries (not the US) there was an option to lock into 4 wheel drive, by installing a fuse in the fuse holder labeled "4WD" on the strut tower.

Its in about the same place as the "FWD" fuse holder on the US models. Except the Fwd fuse holder does the opposite. It totally disengages the AWD, and gives you only front wheel operation.

It would be kinda neat to know which pin on the TCU that fuse goes to. Could be useful for people here who like to run a switch to the duty c solenoid to lock the transfer clutch into 4wd.

Rick has put a toggle switch on the dash of 2 of my now long gone Subarus so that I could flip between AWD and FWD as I wished.  I ran my '92 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon LE in FWD most of the time and only flipped into AWD when the conditions required it.  I had that car the longest, so it was like that for several years and still no transmission troubles when I finally sold it.

• Like 1