Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with modifying corner lights

On my recent trip across the Pacific Ocean, I picked up a pair of USDM corner lights.

Now I've got them home & am trying to fit them up to my Australian wagon.

There are a few differences between the lights because of their use and mounting.

The first attached pic shows the backs with the US one at the top.

You can see that the mounting holes for the globes are different, with different sizes.

I want to get rid of the US style bayonet style globe & replace it with the ADM wedge style globe.

To do this, I'm aiming to cut out the back of the ADM lens and fix it to the back of the US version. As shown by the red circles on the 2nd attached pic. As the ADM is smaller, I'm hoping to fit it inside the raised circle.

But the question is how to do this so the 2 pieces of plastic are joined well and don't fall off.

Any advice?

I already need to modify the wiring so I'm aiming to re-using the US side light & globe, and join it into the ADM wiring, as the side light is supposed to be an indicator for us. It still won't quite meet ADR, but maybe near enough ;)

The other problem is the metal tab that holds this light to the headlight.

ADM lights are the plastic bucket type & you can see that the US version is a good 10mm higher (as shown by the blue circle). When I've fitted the US one to the car (held by the side screw), the US one is also further backwards.

A couple of options I've come up with are:

1. cut & reweld the US bracket. This would be difficult to get right because of the tight space to tack back together, and I don't have any spare brackets if I stuff it up

2. make up some small bracket from the ADM headlight up to the US bracket. This might look a bit strange once the bonnet (hood) is open.

Open to any other opinions.

Thanks

post-8410-0-51365500-1430782687_thumb.jpg

post-8410-0-45527400-1430782780_thumb.jpg

No. it's a bit hard to see on the pics, but the US one has 2 screws one above each other, the Aus one has 2 screws beside each other.

Maybe could cut & reweld the 2 different brackets. They both head upwards at the same place, just that the bottom where they are secured is different, and the top where they meet the headlight is different.

I'm now really curious about reports previously saying that these lights were interchangeable.

Edited by wagonist

I bet that Early EA82 "L" series models in Australia, went there with the Metallic Housing Headlamps which uses the 9004 bulbs, and those are equal from the Outside, with USDM Headlamps. While the Plastic Housing Headlamps were offered in Australia, Europe, Africa and Latin America, with the H4 Bulbs, those Plastic ones had Different mount design for the corner lights.

So, the Reports regarding interchangeability between corner lights, must have been made regarding the Metallic Housing Headlamps only, not the Plastic ones that never were offered in the USDM. 

Kind Regards.