Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem with the engine cooling system:

Hi.

I have problem with my sister's subaru. (she have subaru like I have)

The green water of the engine cooling system is very dirty, like it have mud in it.

I cleaned the radiator and the pipes and change the green water of the engine cooling system with new one before 3500KM, and when I check it last week I saw that the water is dirty again.

What could cause the green water to be so dirty? How can I solve that problem for ever?

Thanks, Gal

P.S: The engine is EA71.

Sounds like you probably have some corrosion of the cooling system - either in the radiator, or the heater core. You may have to backflush the system to get all the junk out of the heater core. Also make sure that you have the heater ON when doing this to make sure the control valve that controls flow to the core is in the open position. Corrosion might also eventually cause leaks in the heater core, or the radiator, so watch for those to appear in the comming years.....

GD

What is the heater core? do U have any pic of it? because I'm not understand what is this part....

One more thing, what is backflush mean? how I do that?

Can U explain to me please, what did U mean when U write: "Also make sure that you have the heater ON when doing this to make sure the control valve that controls flow to the core is in the open position"? -I didn't understand that sentance.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

What is the heater core? do U have any pic of it? because I'm not understand what is this part....

One more thing, what is backflush mean? how I do that?

Can U explain to me please, what did U mean when U write: "Also make sure that you have the heater ON when doing this to make sure the control valve that controls flow to the core is in the open position"? -I didn't understand that sentance.

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

The heater core is a small radiator between your firewall and dashboard. When you turn the heat on in the cabin a blower fan turns on behind the heater core and pushes hot air into the cabin. Just like your radiator up front it is prone to corrosion and getting clogged up.

A back flush is when you hook up a hose to your coolant system. Forcing water the oposite way it nomraly flows (like pushing it through the heater core return hose). This will free up lots of mineral deposits, sludge, and all that dirty coolant.

Might just be time for a new radiator. Visually inspect it from inside the engine bay. Look between the fan blades, top to bottom and left to right. Make sure none of the fins are missing or that corrsoion isnt eating it on the outside as well. You can tell by a green or white color that it's starting to oxedize real bad.

When was the last time hoses, clamps and thermostat was changed? Those can play a big part in keeping your engine cool as well.

Good luck