Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Insurance Question

i have some insurance questions

recently i bought a 1982 brat, it's in decent condition except there is a hole on the bed and some rust. i haven't got a insurance for it, and im planning to get one really soon..but i dont know which company gives best deal for 1982 brat gl.

depending on the deal, i would ask my mom to change the company.

im 18 years old..so im thinking i should put one of my parents as primary driver and put me as secondary on the brat. if we decided to stay with our current insurance company (statefarm), the insurance agent will come to my house to explain the policy...i was wondering if i should hide the car, in case he might say something about the condition of the car and try to get more money by saying it is a old car and stuff like that

i need some advice from you guys

thanks

Dan

The condition of the vehicle is for the most part irrelevant when purchasing liability insurance. The condition becomes important when you need collision/ damage. Liability only pays to fix the other guys vehicle, you eat your own repairs. Call around on the phone and internet for quotes, be upfront and tell them you are new to all this and you want a quote for liability insurance at the minimum coverage required by the state(unless you have lots of assets).

I have found State Farm to be a very good insurance. At least the guys I deal with here in VA. When you have liability, it should make NO difference that your car is 'not the best' my xt was that way when I bought it and I just told them the body damage it had at the time. Mine was recently wrecked (not my fault) and they paid for rental car and issued check within 7 days of the wreck. They are now taking care of all medical and I bought my wreck back for $110. If your Mom has been with this company for awhile, you should NOT ask her to change to someone cheaper. I have had several different insurance companies over the last 30 (yes 30) years and State Farm has been the best. AND......when you stick with the same Agent for a number of years, you get personal service that NO Gecko (pun intended) can give you. I did that Geico thing for awhile, they generally are cheaper, but NOT better. Get in with a good company now while you are young and prove yourself (no speeding) you should not have to pay higher premiums later when you are on your own. If you prove yourself now under your Mom's policy, you should not be stuck later with high-risk premiums.

Been on with Allstate on all the cars here. They're really good about responding and dealing with things. We have the 03 Forester, 96 Explorer, 85 GL and just added the 87 Brat. The 85 GL is named as the principle driver. My 03 is the cheapest on the insurance.. most likely because of the safety features. I was shocked an amazed.. yeeow! The Brat costs more than the Explorer.. and thats with liability only compared to the Explorer that has full coverage. *cough* and thats with no tickets, no accidents over 21 insurance - I've paid half of what i bought the car for in insurance.