Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking into the Crosstrek

wicat3

Hey everyone.  I have been shopping around for a new vehicle.  I have pinpointed a few different vehicles but still undecided.  I have narrowed my search down to a jeep patriot, kia sorrento, subaru crosstrek and the subaru outback.  I am heavly leaning toward the crosstrek.

With that said heres a little background on what im looking for in the vehicle.  I drive anywhere from 45 mins to an hour to work so a round trip to and from work is about 2 hours so gas milage is a plus.  awd or 4wd is another must since I live where snow can happen in a blink of an eye and lots of it.  It would be nice to be able to tow with it as well, nothing big, some wood/lumber for house hold needs to possibly a sxs utility vehicle.  I also need something that wont have a problem going off road to a hunting cabin.  

My question is does the crosstrek seem to fit what I have described im looking at in a vehicle or should I look at something else?  I have yet to look at the crosstrek in person but do plan on looking at it very soon.

Great day... Good list of choices...I have the XV in the Hybrid Touring Model...and I LOVE IT...last winter here in Maine, like many other locations, WAS crazy..I had just picked up my new XV It got me through the winter with ease...It is lighter but more nimble and grabs the road like gorilla glue.  I have a hunting camp in northwestern Maine...It navigates there through whatever mud and crap...Bird hunting and such was fine...I do like to keep my XV pristine, so I obsess over it during these time...The AWD is flawless.  My wife loves it, but she has her own vintage Forester.  I travel 40 minutes to my work, and get an average of 35 MPG.  Sometimes 39...I love my XV.  I am happy to answer any questions...

Good Luck with your search.

Do you find it like driving a boat?  I have heard some of the hatchback/station wagon styling will feel less like a car and more like a boat.  I currently drive a Kia Soul and my wife has a Kia Sorrento.  The sorrento hight is great but its a beast on gas, about a quarter tank of gas to work it seems. 

For another comparison point, I bought a Standard model ( 2 liter, 5 speed, non-hybrid) this February as a retirement car.  I live in Iowa and out in the country about 1/3 mile off a highway on a private lane so AWD for snow etc. was a consideration in my choice. So far I really like it.  The only thing I wish I could change is the black interior because it shows every speck of dirt (wasn't an option with a manual transmission for some reason).  I also really don't care for the touch screen entertainment (and more) systems that seem to be unavoidable in just about any new car. So I appreciate that controls for ventilation, heat and A/C in the Subaru do not depend on a touch screen interface.  I use to commute 60 miles one way prior to retirement and when I've taken the Crosstrek on highway trips, I've found it to be comparatively comfortable and I get 30 - 31 MPG) under real (pushing the speed limit) conditions.

I also took my time and looked at a range of options and figured that since Subaru has been using AWD and their pancake engine design for several years now they're more likely to have it sorted out better than most and their reported frequency of repairs seems to bear that out.  FWIW it seems that Jeep has had some real issues in that area in recent years.  In general, across the range of all manufacturers the highest rates of failure / complaints in new cars are with the electronic controls and the bazillion speed automatics many are using instead of a CVT to get better mileage.  In fact the service guys, some of whom I happen to know personally, told me that if I was going to have a problem with a new Subaru it  would most likely be with the electronics [i am not a luddite, BTW when it comes to this stuff, I'm a retired EE] So the most basic electronic interface combined with a manual transmission was what I decided on.  Finally, living in Maine I bet you already know this, but real, full time AWD is much better than 4WD under road conditions where you might encounter dryer patches of pavement.  

Good luck, happy shopping and happy holidays.

Unfortunately, Crosstreks with the 5-speed manual will inevitably be noisier than a Lineatronic CVT Crosstrek as there is less sound deadening.

From the 2015 model year onwards, a thicker windshield as well as thicker side glass were used to further enhance the cabin quietness. The factory non-Hybrid tires are also unusually noisy.

I found my test drive with the XV Crosstrek Hybrid quite pleasant, as I felt that the suspension and steering were sportier, as well as the cabin being noticeably quieter than my 5-speed Crosstrek.

My dad has a 2015 Crosstrek. Compared to my '14 Legacy I would say it's slightly noisier inside, but that's mainly due to the engine having to rev a bit higher during acceleration. It's not objectionable or obnoxious though. As far as wind/tire noise cruising down the highway, it seems just as quiet to me.

Both cars are light years quieter than my '03 Outback.

As far as space goes, they've fit a La-Z-Boy recliner in it with the seats folded flat. I will say that the trunk isn't very big if you don't fold the seats down. It's tall and boxy, but not very deep front-to-back. So when the 4 of us went to the beach, with 4 beach chairs, a cooler, beach bags, etc. it was up almost to the roof. 

Brian

• 2 months later...

I'm also possibly in the market for a Crosstrek, any thoughts on what I've read about poor acceleration? I don't drive like a leadfoot so having a super punchy car isn't a priority for me, just enough to get a good highway merging when there's a monster hurdling into your rear view mirror. Also I would suspect this would be easier with manual transmission, which I'm also hoping for.

cars101.com

performance is largely personal preference and swayed by prior experiences. if you're coming from a pleasant experience with a turbo audi or big block american vehicle - you'll think Subaru's are slow or unrefined or whatever attracted to those.  if you're coming from a foreign dinky econoox it'll feel awesome.  test drive one.

at first glance the spec's dont' look stellar for acceleration, but it is a 2.0 liter engine, not really what most 2.0 driving people are primarily worried about:

http://www.caranddriver.com/subaru/xv-crosstrek

I'm definitely not coming from a fast car, currently it's a Pontiac G6 (pretty heavy power for me, not used to V6's), then it was a Suzuki XL7 (sluggish), then a Mazda 3 (perfectly zippy enough for me). Good to know, I may indeed have to do a test drive. Basically my top criteria is AWD, hatchback, roof rack, and preferably manual trans. Which means the Crosstrek, Impreza hatchback, Outback, and Forester seem to meet all my needs... But this dang Crosstrek looks the nicest to my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also possibly in the market for a Crosstrek, any thoughts on what I've read about poor acceleration? I don't drive like a leadfoot so having a super punchy car isn't a priority for me, just enough to get a good highway merging when there's a monster hurdling into your rear view mirror. Also I would suspect this would be easier with manual transmission, which I'm also hoping for.

As someone said, it is all relative.  Coming from our 2001 Forester 5MT, the new Crosstrek CVT felt like it accelerated much better.  So, it feels plenty peppy to us.  

If you want to feel sluggish, test a Mitsu Outlander Sport...  and I like that car:  on the fly selection of FWD, 4WD, 4WD-Locked.  Hello?  Subaru?  Are you listening?

And for acceleration, neither of them could touch the Ford Escape we tested.  But, yep, it is all relative.

Edited by unibrook

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up buying a 2014 Crosstrek.  Wife liked the visibility and seating position much better in it than the Outlander Sport, CX-5, and Escape we test drove.  One thing you will notice and miss in the Crosstrek vs the old Forester.....the Crosstrek has a distinct lack of storage cubby spots.  I loved that the Forester was loaded with these.  Oh well, I will adjust.