Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No 12v at fuel pump, someone explain the fuel pump control unit to me

Just finished re-assembling the 82 Brat other than the interior and trim belt so it was time for first start. The engine does not start and I verified that the pump is not getting 12v. I checked the schematics and it refers to a fuel pump control unit which I need to check the connections to, but no information on what it looks like or where it is, can someone fill me in please on where it is and what exactly it does.

Coil wires are all there.

From searching I saw that there is also a relay under the passenger seat I found two, a round one that clicks when the key is turned to the on position and a square one that does not.

No blue box (and nothing was removed from the interior wiring) but there was this box:

12313720_10153128087505064_1874537068277

Which relay under the passenger seat is the fuel pump relay? If it is the round one Im good there, if it is the square one then I might have an issue with that. I hope the factory manual has some info on this unit.

The one in your picture.

Naru thank you very much, your input solved the problem. The module was working as it should, so it had to be a harness problem. I pulled the plastic buttons on the rear plastic panel and found that the previous owner had cut the lines to the fuel pump and ran those lines to a switch hidden under the seat!!!! It got bumped to off at some point. He also had a very early security system on it, the ones with the key on the fender, so he must have been worried about it being stolen. With that crap removed the pump is now shooting fuel to the carb as intended!

And she starts and man is that a mean sounding EA81 with all the mods in it!!

Edited by subarubrat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...