Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA82 stiff shifter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,948 posts
  • NH

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:06 PM

My 91 loyale's shifter (its a manual) is very stiff. It takes a fair amount of effort to shift through the gears. There is no grinding, but it forces you to drive the car sedately. In my GL I can slam the shifter through the gears and accelerate decently fast, but I can't do that when the shifter wont move fast. Does anyone know why this is the way it is? I sprayed penetrating oil all over the area where the linkages run, but that didn't help. Is there bushings or something that would stiffen over time? I need some advice.

#2 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,796 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:43 AM

Perhaps your clutch is not disengaging all the way. You might check the adjustment on the clutch cable.

#3 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,417 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:10 AM

Details on the clutch? How many miles on it, how is it driven?

If it's a high-mileage clutch, or driven hard, the pressure plate might be throwing in the towel. Be forewarned, they can make the car undriveable in a matter of about 4 or 5 miles!!:eek: That's what happened on my Legacy. Drove 5 miles to something, drove okay, drove 5 miles back, became almost impossible to drive on way home, couldn't shift, engagement point on the floor. Took it to mechanic the next day, 3 miles in 2nd all the way, pedal stayed on floor when I parked at the shop!

#4 Bill90Loyale

Bill90Loyale

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:20 PM

I agree with checking the clutch for adjustment first.

In the meantime, when was the last time you checked the gear oil level in the transaxle? Dipstick is underneath your spare tire, on the passenger side of the tranny. I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in mine now, very smooth.

Synchros going?
Good luck.

#5 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,948 posts
  • NH

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the advise. sorry, the car has 153k on it, all on the origional clutch. The clutch disengages close to the top of the pedal travel, and reengages close to the same place, so I think its working fine. Wouldn't worn syncros or a stuck clutch cause the gears to make an audible grinding noise? The tranny is full of decent looking oil. I'm thinking of putting the D/R tranny out of my GL in eventually, but in the year or so in the meantime, I'm hoping for an easy fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users