Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale Fuel Pump Relay

My Loyale (5spd push-button 4wd) won't start, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to fuel pump.  I want to check the relay first because its much cheaper if that is the issue, but I cannot find the fuel pump relay.  My chilton manual doesn't say anything about the relay, and the internet says it's below the steering wheel or behind the drivers side front strut.  I have looked all over the engine compartment and cannot find it.  Help?

It has been quite a while since I worked on one of these but if I remember correctly the pump relay is under the carpet on the right side of the passenger seat, between the seat and the rocker panel. Remove the sheet metal plate in the door opening and lift up the carpet.

Roger

The fuel pump relay is right behind the fuse box.  There's a row of 5 or so of them.  They're cylinder shaped.

Before you go chasing fueling issues why don't you just get a can of starting fluid *ether and spray some in the throttle body and see if the car runs for a second.

You can simply lift the boot off the top of the throttle body, spray some in, set the boot back in place and try to start it.

Edited by firehawk618

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the relay was part of that cluster of 4 buried deep in the dash above the fuse box?  I think it is headlights, fan and FP relay?  I could be wrong, it has been a while.  Access is horrible.

If you plug the green connectors together and turn on the ignition but don't start the engine,  you will be able to hear the relay and pump cycling.  If you hear the relay clicking, but the pump doesn't buzz, then try running a wire direct from the battery to the red wire on the the pump, with a wire to the chassis from the black wire.  If that doesn't make it run, then it is the pump.  Otherwise it is the relay.  The relay can click, but not connect, or it can just not click at all.   You can get access to the fuel pump wiring inside the car, under the rear seat on the passenger side, where the wiring goes through a grommet in the body.  Remove the grommet, pull the wiring inside, and there is no crawling under the car required. 

There is no ground through the ECU on these ones.  The fuel pump black wire goes direct to ground. 

The relays are very flaky when old.  I had one that was very flaky, it would quit when too hot or too cold.  I had a wire run from the battery ready to connect if it failed, and I ran it like that for months.  Every few days I would have to use the wire, then next morning, start the car as normal.  .

Edited by robm

• 3 months later...

I thought the relay was part of that cluster of 4 buried deep in the dash above the fuse box?  I think it is headlights, fan and FP relay?  I could be wrong, it has been a while.  Access is horrible.

If you plug the green connectors together and turn on the ignition but don't start the engine,  you will be able to hear the relay and pump cycling.  If you hear the relay clicking, but the pump doesn't buzz, then try running a wire direct from the battery to the red wire on the the pump, with a wire to the chassis from the black wire.  If that doesn't make it run, then it is the pump.  Otherwise it is the relay.  The relay can click, but not connect, or it can just not click at all.   You can get access to the fuel pump wiring inside the car, under the rear seat on the passenger side, where the wiring goes through a grommet in the body.  Remove the grommet, pull the wiring inside, and there is no crawling under the car required. 

There is no ground through the ECU on these ones.  The fuel pump black wire goes direct to ground. 

The relays are very flaky when old.  I had one that was very flaky, it would quit when too hot or too cold.  I had a wire run from the battery ready to connect if it failed, and I ran it like that for months.  Every few days I would have to use the wire, then next morning, start the car as normal.  .

This is my best lead yet for a question over at this link -   

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/159645-91-loyale-fuel-pump-failure-replace-with-ford-pump/