Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cure smokey EA81 ?

this old thing came in my Brumby, fitted by previous owner as a {well} used engine with good oil pressure {50 psi @3000rpm} and 180,190 comp pressures. Previous owner did not get a chance to test it out before it then sat eight years.

I have done new head gaskets, checked valve seal to seat, and replaced the valve stem seals to the inlets? as the exhaust don't get seals.

If it was valve guides, I would expect the thing to be smokey on cold start up and disappear once at operating temp

Now, engine is a bit tail pipe fumey, so the oil rings may be stuffed or gummed up due to crap service interval or age/ treatment over its previous life..

Give the twins a gut full from my 175 HP rated gas mixer and will fume the tail pipe again - still missing about a hundred horsies though :D

Worst is the compression braking - not 007 escape trick smoke screen but enough to flare the nostrils of the motorists copping the slip stream.

I am wondering if I should try just add valve stem seals to the exhaust valves if the head design allows or will this stuff something? Any ideas ?

I am planning to use an oil cleaner before next oil change and use a higher detergent diesel grade oil - se if anything changes

Valve stem seals can be installed on the exhaust valves with no issues. Those should have a Black spring on them vs. the Silver spring for the intake ones.

I would lay money down on the oil rings being seized up, as to cause of smoke-screen.

Tore down a few engines here lately, in search of some good pistons. All had seized oil rings.

• Like 1

I fix a smoke problem with a PVC? valve....From the dealer..The store bought (NAPA) didn't fix it but one from the Subaru Dealer did.....It had the right size hole I was told..And after sitting that long I would just keep it full of clean oil and see what happens.Some rigs just need to be drivin to get the blood flowing haha.Good luck.

• Like 1

ah yes , good thinking, I think I can now see how oil gets sucked intot he combustion chamber by stuck oil rings.

An oil flush additive, a Diesel detergenty oil to add to the drive like it was stolen style may clear it up

• 2 weeks later...

well BUMP me ! Just done an oil change after speaking to our local trusted engine additive manufacturer tech guys. I say trust as I have worked for a fella who worked for the company for 30 years. I trust him, trust them. Chucked in the oil cleaning stuff that smelled like degreaser or kero, idled the engine for 20 minutes and then dropped this thin, black, black and bloody hot engine oil and filter. Oil has been replenished with a Diesel spec oil as also suggested/agreed upon by the tech guys. Will see how we go :)

My oil had only been in 1000 kms or so, but likely taking out with it crud from an 8 year stand stint on an unknown used engine

Edited by jono
  • Like 1

Have the same problem / reasons with my Brumby ie probably / possibly gummed up oil rings as well and a quart of oil used per 600 miles (litre per 1000km)  and was wondering if the diesel oil detergent helped / worked in your case?

Am willing to try this also

Edited by subnz

an update: I have done about 200km so far and judging from the gesticulations from a woman who was sitting behind me at the first stop - nothing has happened. She was waving the smoke away as if she had no windscreen and backed off :(

As I went about things on the highway things seemed to be OK on cruise speeds. I think it is too early to expect anything really if the rings are carboned up. I took to the mountain dirt roads to be on my own and the dust obscures the smoke :) , then darkness fell and it seemed to be the best way to hide smoke from other road users , or at least hide the source :D

I guess I developed this theory that maybe some oil has to be induced to get in and around the rings to clean things up, so some more down mountain driving, backing off, then giving it a squirt, back off, squirt, back off ..each squirt to clear the air - so to speak. Time to check oil level

Castrol RX diesel 15W40 is the oil in use. Only ever used 20W50 in these EA81's before. 15W40 normally reserved for EA82.

Running at around 100 kph , 3000 rpm the oil pressure runs at about 50 psi, mid 20's air temp, mid 60s op temp

Edited by jono
  • Like 1

that's it for this exercise. I now know what it feels like at the exact moment a head gasket goes :( :(

1400 km since I did the home face job and fitted new head gaskets, retensioned after a warm up.

Admittedly there was a half small peanut sized hole of corrosion in one head in the middle of nowhere - that point where gasket blocks off a nothing in head to water jacket ? Engine had sat as an unknown to me for ten years mostly.

I was stomping on it as a car was coming up behind me - I had turned into its path with enough room and it just well, hesitated, then had a bit of a miss, started blowing smoke - think it was steam. Managed to limp it to safety. Tossing up whether this is the time to do the rushed EA82T 5 speed conversion or slap in a spare 510,000km EA81  ...

bugger