Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Legacy L gotta luv watching the check engine light flash fun!! Code 22, improper knock sensor voltage. I got a new one. One mechanic told me that because it is a two wire device (not dependent on ground) I could just plug it in and not bolt it down. Is this correct? That did not seem to work. I spent two days doing the battery dance and playing with the diag connectors. I notice that the torque spec is quite specific at 16 ft/lb.

Question: does the voltage change as the sensor is "squeezed"?

Question 2: I remember a pic (can't find it again) of the "right" orientation. IIRC the manual calls for a 45 degree offset for the output wire. I plan on running it 45 degrees pointed toward the left fender, kinda pointing directly at the driver's seat. Any other opinions?

I DO plan to put anti seize on the bolt threads, steel vs. aluminum etc. 

Thanx,

Mike

HI,

MUST be bolted down. Don't go back to that mechanic, IMHO.

The orientation probably matters, but I don't know for sure. Should be lots-o-pics online showing it.

Also, if the CEL doesn't go off/Code go away, there may be a break in the wiring to the KS>.>>>>common enough.

Do a search on KS WIre repair and some (me included) have used MIC (rophone) cable as a suitable replacement.

TD

• Like 1