Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think 05 began the 5EAT auto trans - seems to be robust.

older vehicles like that are gonna depend a LOT on prior care and current condition. Maybe start by finding a mechanic to do a prepurchase inspection on what you find. Heck, if there's a local shop that services a lot of soobs, you might even get a lead on one of his customers who's selling.

The '00 had smaller front disk brakes and suffered from rotor warp more than the '01 on which had larger fronts.

through '03 there were issues with the 2.5 head gaskets seeping oil. Not a big deal but they tend to smell a bit after a longer haul. You just have to do regular oil level checks.

Edited by Suzam

Yep. As mentioned, the head gaskets were a fault on those motors, but once repaired (Correctly with OEM turbo gaskets and resurfacing) will not likely fail a second time. These years leaked externally so they don't overheat until they run themselves low on coolant.

Otherwise they are long lasting and durable. My wifes 2000 was over 380,000 miles when we sold it (still running) and a friend of mine has an 02 with 365,000 miles.

Check timing belt service and bring it to current if unsure with a gates timing kit. A failed belt or idler will trash the valves.

Check for torque bind by driving slow tight circles and feel for shuddering/shaking. Tires should be matching and rather evenly worn on tread.

Those are the big issues that should be scoped out. They are excellent cars overall and are comfy with a smooth ride and good power. The H6 was surprisingly quick on these cars and is also known to be quite reliable.

They are still holding their value but they are 10-15 years old so make sure you do plenty of investigation to spot issues and get a feel for how well the car has been maintained. There's plenty of time for them to be run into the ground by a neglectful owner and I've seen more than a couple where sellers are selling them at early stages of head gasket failure as if nothing is wrong to avoid the large looming repair bill.

Gen 2  2000-2004 is starting to get dated.

Recommend Gen 3   05 / 06  3.0R  (245hp)  with 5EAT  an improvement over 2nd gen H6 + 4EAT  (212hp)

( no headgasket issues  no cam belt changing issues smoother more power )  

Replaced my 01  2.5 manual D/R  recently with an 06 3.0R SI drive JDM.

Recommend that if you can afford it a later 3rd Gen 3.0R with SI Drive is better for power / economy (3 transmision modes) than the earlier gen 3  3.0Rs 

Edited by subnz
  • Like 1

So there is a 04 that had the head gasket replaced was resurfaced and the guy is telling me that the gasket that was put in was whatever the dealer recommended.  Would that have been an OEM turbo gasket that the dealer recommended?  The car has 216 k on it and he's asking $3600 also has new timing belt, valve cover and intake manifold gaskets, water pump, plugs/wires, serpentine belt, and cv axles both sides.  Anything else I should be looking for or good deal on this car?  I did look at what KBB said what it's worth through private owner or what a dealer would sell it for, but I figured that the values they said did not include the work it has had done to it.

Edited by dangerous
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

If your in Washington, we are selling a 2000 outback with 150k on it. Head gaskets done at 110k, and I am going to install new timing kit this week and reseal the complete motor. It's a great car, but she wants the very nice 98 Gt I am working on.

Just a thought. By the way, asking price it $4300