Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 93 Legacy wagon needs a new stereo!

Hi friends,

After hella searching and link following I am coming to the conclusion that trying to install a simple new radio/CD and ipod/phone capable stereo is gonna be a nightmare. At least for me...

I just want a new head unit, and new speakers in the same spots as the stock ones. I have no need for massive amps or what not.

So...Anyone else here just throw in the towel and have like a Cartoys or Performance Auto Sound, where I live,  install one? Is it expensive? Should I just get a system from Walmart and fight through it? 

And lastly anyone have a good basic brand and model that is on the less expensive side, that will fit my 93 L wagon? I am not a music system snob, I just want something that works... 

Any helpful experiences, stories or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cy

i have always had pretty good luck with the Sony X-plode systems - relatively cheap, but they work decently.

Installation isnt that difficult either - if you get an adapter harness.

Crutchfield.com is a good source for pretty much everything you would need. You can specify your year, make & model, and it will give you a complete list of everything that would be compatible and if it needs any modifications, items needed will be specified. They also usually provide detailed instructions with purchase.

• Like 1

Its not that terrible to install a stereo, but with the prices at a shop any more. It's just about worth it to have it done. I use a small local shop and they do free installs on any deck over $120. I think even the big shops offer free or very cheap install when you buy a deck.

• Like 1

i have always had pretty good luck with the Sony X-plode systems - relatively cheap, but they work decently.

Installation isnt that difficult either - if you get an adapter harness.

Crutchfield.com is a good source for pretty much everything you would need. You can specify your year, make & model, and it will give you a complete list of everything that would be compatible and if it needs any modifications, items needed will be specified. They also usually provide detailed instructions with purchase.

Thanks Heartless, good to know there is hope if I decide to install myself. I will look into the crutchfield site for sure if I go this route. And great to hear a specific option, Sony X-plode, did this system fit into your red L wagon, I think it was, without many problems? I believe we have similar year and make rigs. 

Its not that terrible to install a stereo, but with the prices at a shop any more. It's just about worth it to have it done. I use a small local shop and they do free installs on any deck over $120. I think even the big shops offer free or very cheap install when you buy a deck.

Thank You, this is what I was hoping to hear as far as an install goes. I just don't know if I want to spend the time or the hassle for this particular project. Plus I don't mind admitting that electricity is not my forte when it comes to wrenching... I don't mind spending the dough to have a pro do it right, but I really wasn't sure what it may cost. I will check with my local car audio shops. 

Thanks Heartless, good to know there is hope if I decide to install myself. I will look into the crutchfield site for sure if I go this route. And great to hear a specific option, Sony X-plode, did this system fit into your red L wagon, I think it was, without many problems? I believe we have similar year and make rigs. 

actually the most recent one was in my 95 Legacy L (ruby mica pearl) but I have used the Sony head-units in several vehicles over the years with no major problems.

That one has bluetooth for hands free calling, a USB port and aux plug in as well as a CD player (that never gets used, lol).

For your Legacy, pretty much any single DIN unit will fit, and even a few double DIN if you dont mind giving up the little pocket underneath.

the only one I ever really had to modify to make it work was the old 89 GL - very shallow space. I had to make a surround that allowed it to stick out further than the stocker.

• Like 1