Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Job - 2014 Outback 3.6R

Should I have the rotors turned or replace them on my upcoming brake job?  The vehicle has 62,000 miles and this is my first brake job.  I work in the heavy duty truck market and they stopped turning drums and rotors a long time ago.

keep your soob rotors unless they are below the minimum thickness marked on them or are 'damaged' in some way. Just be a little careful on your first 3-4 stops. The new pads will quickly wear-in to any waviness on the rotors.

I like Centric Posiquiet ceramic pads. OEM pads are Akebono ceramic and very good - just a little pricey. probably any name-brand semi-metallic or ceramic pad will work.

nope. Subaru rotors actually easily last the life of the vehicle. literally. i have 260,000 on my rear rotors.

the only reason to replace the rotor, and I mean the only reason, is if you have vibration during braking. which is always the front rotors on any subaru prior to 2005 - i don't have enough experience yet with 2005+ to make the same claim but i'd guess it'll be similar. i'd guess rear rotors maybe could fail or have a compromising situation and do the same, but i haven't seen it yet. so on nominally operational rear rotors i doubt you'll ever see it.

otherwise run them, even if they're not perfectly flat, that matters not.

you'll be hard pressed to find intelligent and quantitative rotor information though. i'm shocked how low grade rotor knowledge experience tends to be. most of it is archaic, anecdotal, and armchair quarterback regurgitation. for all the terrible advice and hyped up comments on rotors - go find me a rotor failure....oh wait, it never happens.

unbelievable how short sighted and slow to learn people are even after many decades and hundreds of thousands of Subarus on the road.

Remember i'm talking specifically Subaru's here - that's all i work on. I know nothing about anything else.

Edited by grossgary