Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea81 fi swap in running and driving! Working out the bugs

It runs good, gotta clean the maf, cause its got a code 23, it idles real high (varies between 1500 and 1000), and on two random occasions it was surging, like 1k-1200, when cold disconnecting the iac had a large impact on idle speed like the book says it should, i think my throttle position sensor needs to be adjusted as i had to take it off while doing my install, gotta do my timing, right now i think im at 28 btdc, have to grind a little more off of the disty mounting ear. Ill start with the disty and cleaning my maf, but from there not sure where to start, i dont want to chase a simple problem ariound in circles, so thought id ask here, gonna try to adjust everything by the book the best i can but i have a hard time translating book theory jnto real world, a denver local who could show me the first time and help me get it to spec would be the best way i could learn, if anybody wants to get a sixer for the help! Lol. But any advice will be greatly appreciated

• Like 1

Codes cleared, maf cleaned, i just took a cutoff wheel and grinder and made my own maf adapter. Ran and drove great yesterday, think my oil pump needs a reseal because its ticking, but this tired old ea81 is on its way out, for my almost complete freshly built hicomp ea81, i didnt want to be working out the bugs on a brand new motor still in its break in period, and the way it flooded and backfired the first couple cranks, im glad i did it that way

post-62852-0-29711800-1478523287_thumb.jpg

I was looking too deep into it, on the harness side of my coil plug ,not the amplifier plug, black wire with a diode for god knows what in a 92 loyale, cut it off, ran my tach signal to the remaining yellow from that plug, also swapped to a known runnig amplifier but dont think that was my problem, and the biggest thing, i think i was somehow mistakenly running it off of an 86 ecu lol