Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, the mechanic at my Subaru dealership has suggested an engine reseal to solve my oil leak issue.  I have a 2005 Forester with 140,000 miles.  It has been well maintained by the dealer.  This will cost $3,500.00.  Has anyone had or done this repair?  This is the only car I have ever owned and I would love to keep it running 5 more years.  

What is leaking exactly?

The "engine is leaking" is not something to go off of.

Unless the head gaskets are puking oil or leaking coolant. There's not really a need to do an engine reseal. And even then. The only aditional thing to seal when doing the HG job is the oil pan. Because nobody splits the block.

So figure out what's actually leaking and fix it from there. Don't have them reseal the engine if it's a lea from the valve cover.

And if they say they don't know what's leaking, it's too messy. Tell them you want them to wash the area and put dye in it and figure out what's leaking.

I have a 2005 forester non-turbo, 2.5, 205,000 miles.

I have several oil leaks, one being from the head gaskets. It looks pretty bad but the leak is worth living with, doesn't leave any drips when I park although the crossmember is coated.

The 1st head gaskets were replaced under warranty at just under 60,000 miles, and the 2nd set are no better.

My other oil leak was through rust on the oil pan itself. This happened to my '03 H6 outback as well!

I may have leaking valve cover gaskets, but unless I get to needing 2 quarts per 5000 miles I will live with it.

This car has an oil cooler, there is a simple O-ring under the cooler that can be replaced fairly easily. Mine may be leaking, the head gaskets leak too much to tell.

The dealers are being driven very hard by corporate to increase revenue in the service department, my dealer is pretty good but would still try to sell a 3500 job to fix every little leak that could be reasonably managed by a few hundred in repairs, leaving a few small leaks.

Edited by CNY_Dave

For $3500 you could pretty well drop in a new engine. Chasing an oil leak on a 12 year old car is quite normal. All cars that age will leak oil. On my two old Subies, I had oil leaks that I cut the oil leak in half by adding "stop leak" products to the oil. Several different brands are available at any parts store. Eventually, I had the valve covers replaced to end the oil leaks. It is rather inexpensive to have that done.Good chance that is where your leak is originating. Spend your $3500 on something worthwhile, An engine reseal sound like a waste of good money.

Edited by Rooster2