Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low voltage at CAS and ECU pin but FSM solution doesn't work?

Well man, must be something in the air. Alternator just laid down on the wife's SVX in the last few days. I'm assuming, as she has a very short drive to work so the battery has carried it. Even though she insists on always driving with the lights on... Figures, just when I'm about ready to sell it.  :mellow:

But a much better scenario than you had. Their really should be some sort of backup protection for overcharging. An alarm at least. It would be super easy to do.

Mitsubishi makes a good product, but if it was rebuilt, I'd say it probably wasn't with Mitsubishi components. So that's the dilemma we're faced with. Why buy a name-brand OE alternator, when in all likelihood it has been remanufactured with the cheapest regulator to be had?

Best bet is usually always a factory unit from the boneyard with lower miles, but hardly realistic in our case.  :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy aftermarket alternators unless I have no other choice. I'd rather go new OEM or two used ones.

I always figured aftermarkets dont even replace but leave, clean up or "refurbish" the regulator.

Im going to see if I can EJ swap my XT6 alt. Can you do that on the svx?

Yeah, but aftermarket rebuilders are now marketing them as OE, Mitsubishi, Nippondenso, etc. which they are, just rebuilt with cheap components. 90 percent of the time, it is the regulator/rectifier that fails. And I think even if it just needed brushes, they slap a new $1.65 China regulator in it and call it a premium rebuild. 

Using another model alternator mainly depends on bolt spacing and plug configuration. You can swap another plug on pretty easy if you cop the whole thing from the junkyard. I'm pretty sure the XT6 will directly swap with many other Soobs because it's a popular high-amp conversion for those who need it. (primarily those kids with their thumpety-thump bass heavy stereos)

I do have a good EJ alternator I may look at in the morning, but there is a used one on ebay for 50 bucks with free shipping that looks like my best alternative.  :P

While taking a look on Rockauto for alternators, I noticed they also sell name-brand regulators, and found it quite interesting that they were all more expensive than any of their remanufactured alternators...   <_<

BTW, charged the SVX battery up last night, (it was under 12 volts when I started and batt is new) and this morning the alternator was charging just fine...   :wacko:

Who built the Subaru regulators?

I've thought about buying a regulator and handing it and the alternator to an electrical shop.

But how to verify the regulator quality? Which is why I ask who was the OEM supplier.

Converting to EZ would be nice as my other two DDs are EZ.

Converting to EJ would be simple, then buy those cheap Subaru OEM reman units from the dealer. They're so cheap I'll buy two and never think about aftermarket again.

Way back in high school, I was trained how to completely rebuild alternators, starters, even generators!

I actually went to my regular high school in the morning, then traveled by bike to another high school with the best automotive facilities in the city. I learned from some great, real old school guys who started teaching AFTER they retired from careers in the automotive field. None of them ever went to college. 

After graduating, I soon found out that part of my training to be of little use because no shop I ever worked for wanted to invest the time, or assume the liability of rebuilding... well, pretty much anything.

Those skills did come in handy for personal vehicles, family and friends. But after being into Subarus for awhile, I had a shelf full of electrical components from cars I stripped, but usually never, or rarely needed any. Especially the 70s and early 80s Subarus, just seemed like they would last for the life of the car. Which may just be because there were less electrical demands on those early ones... or not.  ;)

So, it's been a long while since I've dug into an alternator. Not really sure who has been the OEM supplier for the regulators over the last couple decades. But I can say that the good ones will be made in Japan, and that is what I would try to find if I were going to go that route.