Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 EJ22 Motor in 2010 Body?

I have a 1999 Impreza Outback Sport with an EJ22 whose body is in terrible shape -- it would take much more than the car is worth to fix it. The motor is in great shape, however.

I found a 2010 Impreza for sale in my local area with a body in good shape, but the seller claims it needs a new engine. Before I pursue this lead any further, I would like to know if doing a motor swap across generations like this is possible, or are there too many differences between the two for this to be viable.

Far too many differences between those engines.

For a semi-direct swap with your engine you need a 99-04ish Impreza, 2000-04 legacy, or 99-04ish Forester.

05 was when Subaru started introducing variable valve control and electronic throttle and it gets more complicated to do a swap in a vehicle made after that.

Although... if there are those of us willing to swap EJs into older cars with stripped-down harnesses, is it really so preposterous to go the other way?

If all the "newer, better, drive-by-wire, electronica extravaganza" in my Tribeca starts to go on my nerves, I WILL be swapping in an EG33 w/harness  B)

Personally, I think we are not far off from super-cheap standalone systems that can do whatever you want. Then we will all be laughing at what we went through in the before time!

It's not preposterous - it's simply ignorant and a terrible idea for the value of the 10.

The 2.2 phase II engine was great at being an oil consuming pig and having slightly less power than the 2.5, similar economy, and the same problems with head gaskets, etc. Unfortunately since this bore size wasn't continued there is no updated gasket to solve the HG weeping problems like there is with the 251, and there are no good sources for the rings on the 222 except the dealer at $200 a set.

All this combined makes it arguably the least attractive 2000+ Subaru engine. Very low production numbers, expensive and inferior parts.... The 99 to 01 2.2 is a great engine.... for someone else.

GD

Although... if there are those of us willing to swap EJs into older cars with stripped-down harnesses, is it really so preposterous to go the other way?

If all the "newer, better, drive-by-wire, electronica extravaganza" in my Tribeca starts to go on my nerves, I WILL be swapping in an EG33 w/harness  B)

Personally, I think we are not far off from super-cheap standalone systems that can do whatever you want. Then we will all be laughing at what we went through in the before time!

and

It's not preposterous - it's simply ignorant and a terrible idea for the value of the 10.

The 2.2 phase II engine was great at being an oil consuming pig and having slightly less power than the 2.5, similar economy, and the same problems with head gaskets, etc. Unfortunately since this bore size wasn't continued there is no updated gasket to solve the HG weeping problems like there is with the 251, and there are no good sources for the rings on the 222 except the dealer at $200 a set.

All this combined makes it arguably the least attractive 2000+ Subaru engine. Very low production numbers, expensive and inferior parts.... The 99 to 01 2.2 is a great engine.... for someone else.

GD

You're both right.

Not preposterous to do a harness strip and install.

Just not with that engine.  I'd go either a 2000+ EJ251/3.........OR the best engine subaru ever made, the 90-96 EJ22e