Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Silicone axle boot on brand new axle

So, looking for some opinions. I've blown three axle boots in less than 10,000 miles, and as much as I love replacing axles, it's getting tiresome cleaning up all of the dang grease it spews everywhere when it goes.

The question is this: I have a brand new axle in the back, I also have two spares that have blown their boots but never started clicking and seem to be pretty clean inside, I also have a new silicone inner boot kit.

Should I: A.) rebuild the new one with the silicone boot and new grease--removing all of the new grease seems overly messy

B.) rebuild one of the old ones with the silicone boot--less grease to remove before new boot

or C.) just slap the new silicone boot directly overtop of the new boot without removing it or any grease. Double boots, silicone on top.

Orrr has anyone had luck spraying their neoprene boots with silicone spray? I've seen quite a few posts by one person saying they did this, but no real indication on whether or not it helps in the longterm.

I guess I could also just put a heat shield over the thing....I'm just tired of axle grease

Edited by Nickoli

My question would be why are you having so many CV boot failures. I have 4 modified EA series cars one of which has a 4" SJR Lift with 15" wheels. The last time I changed a CV boot or axle on any of them was years ago. Are your motor mounts and pitch-stopper good? Is your car lifted?

Heat is an issue as well. The exhaust shield on my ea81 was not reinstalled after some exhaust work was performed, soon after, my passenger inner boot split. Rears, I don't know, but if it is somewhat stock, I am guessing that the drivers rear is nearest an exhaust heat source, I'm just guessing that it may be the culprit if on that side. Best of luck.

Edited by lrgvanman