Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Something's shaking over small bumps in road (tranny mounts?)

Aye,

Got about 400 miles on her(Pearl) Since I installed the new intake valves....

I don't know if this problem existed before the T-belt snapped(only had car for a brief moment before it snapped)

Engine mounts were loosened and upper bar to firewall was loosened as well during motor rehab(bent valves) process

Here is the situation...

There is shaking when going over bumps in the road.

And I mean,,, not really significant bumps either........

Like the bumps I have noticed are like (slow lane highway) truck wear out bumps.....

Or like just bad concrete expansion joints on the highway........

It really feels to me like it's in the middle of the vehicle... where the shake emanates......

I went under and moved/wiggled the tailshaft around from side to side on the tranny

It moves around, it isn't like the mount rubber is broken or torn......

But, I would say the mount is very flexible...(stretchyish)...  soft  sort of.....(but not to touch --- as far as I know -- I have not pressed on them with my fingers)

Simply said, I can move the tranny tail shaft from side side an noticeable amount(to the eyeball)

Any thoughts

Thanks, Micky

If the shaking is coming from the front check your strut mounts, they could have gone bad. if this is the case you can buy a pair on ebay for cheaper than you would a parts store, the mechanic may try to talk you into replacing your struts too, you should if your bank account allows you too :)

Lift up on the trans with a pry bar. If it lifts completely off the mount the mount is bad. Engine and Trans mounts are usually pretty soft on these. movement is normal.

You had the engine out, did you tighten the engine mounts?

Exhaust was removed? All the exhaust mounts hooked up? Hanger bolt on the back of the trans tight?

Thanks!

All good points.....

Yeah, I should just take a quick look at motor mounts... make sure they are tight....

I will try and CROW up the tranz......

I got some Rear KYB's Coming with new mounts as well. ( Hoping I can get away with not doing the fronts  Or maybe they were done in the car's past life)

It does feel like the VIB-ing starts in the rear.....  Struts in rear are pretty bad.....

I can't believe how costly struts and mounts are........

What happened to the days when you could fix your car and still have money to eat?

Micky

Thanks!

All good points.....

Yeah, I should just take a quick look at motor mounts... make sure they are tight....

I will try and CROW up the tranz......

I got some Rear KYB's Coming with new mounts as well. ( Hoping I can get away with not doing the fronts  Or maybe they were done in the car's past life)

It does feel like the VIB-ing starts in the rear.....  Struts in rear are pretty bad.....

I can't believe how costly struts and mounts are........

What happened to the days when you could fix your car and still have money to eat?

Micky

Where did you buy your struts from?  KYBs (OEM supplier) are like $60 each from Rock Auto.  Yes they are more expensive than $15 shock absorbers.

Edited by Mike104

• 2 weeks later...

Put in the new rear struts with new mounts.....

Vehicle is 99% better......

There is a slight shake in the steering  at high speeds....... Like around 75.... and the it disappears at higher speeds...

Any suggestions on front shimmy.............(  could even be a tire   I am guessing) Tires don't have any kind  of stupid wear on the.....

they are not brand new.... but, they are a good quality tire..... maybe  5 to 10 k on them............

new front brakes...... new calipers and new rotors.......

Micky