Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tips on passing SMOG? (78 wagon, with issues)

I understand.

Sometimes it's better to spend your time making money and then passing the money onto to an expert who will fix your carb right then spending the time you could be working making money trying to fix the problem that may not be easily fixable.

:-\

I bought this car to learn how to do this stuff, the only reason I'm asking for options is because of the whole smog deadline. Otherwise, I would be spending more of my spare time, which is not limited as you suggest, doing this all myself.

I have no interest in supporting vendors, I dont make enough money to support them anyway, which is another reason I do everything I possibly can myself.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I got it running with the help of my uncle. Turns out that the bolt that you adjust the distributor for was striped... Causing the timing to go funky. So basically just bad timing, kept getting worse due to it moving around.

I just removed the old radiator that was spewing water, got the new one ready to go in :)

So basically, all I have left to do is just install the radiator and take it to the smog station! Not to mention get a timing light :P

glad to hear you got it fixed. good job.

dont forget about sunday. how am I going to find you? I cant just look for the guy in an impreza now can I.

Well ask around when you get there for Steve, and this is what my car looks like: http://community.webshots.com/album/138980219SMGShA

I might be helping out with the cooking, but you can call me on my cell (916) 390-3650 if you want, ill have it in my pocket. Ill probably be wearing a hat too...

I will be stoping by to pick up some parts. I will be in a ugly brown toyota 4x4. I would come sporting a roo but I have a serious rocky hill climb to do while I am up there and I just dont have the gears for that. depending on what way you come back you guys can stop by my place in san jo if you have time.

I look like the dog but with a Rim of the world Pro rally shirt on.

oh and cell phones wont work there. at least mine does not.

Ok, ill keep an eye out for you too.

BTW, the 78 is running well, but it is having a bit of an issue trying to get it to idle. If you turn it on and leave it, it will die, but if you give it alot of gas, it will return to idle and idle fine and run fine. Ideas?