Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Screen display freezes: unable to use phone and nav functions

Mabthib

My new 2017 Crosstrek has had the radio/display unit replaced once already and same problem is occurring. When the screen freezes nothing functions. If the car is turned off and back on the problem resolves, but this isn't an option on a highway. And lately the Bluetooth to the phone has stopped functioning (separate from screen freezing issue). Have had to uninstall the phone and reinstall. Any thoughts? The dealership has no answers and Suburu Canada referred me back to the dealership. I find it unlikely that two new radio/display units would both malfunction in the same way so think it must be something else.

My moms 2017 crosstrek is going in soon to have the radio replaced due to similar issues, and loss of functionality.

So i wouldn't be too surprised if it was the head unit again...

There's a lot of technology in those radios and if anything hangs it can cause the whole unit to crash until a reboot.

i had the same issue in mine, every once in a while, it just randomly locks up or refuses to fully connect to my phone. frequently, it stops playing music, claiming that there is no cellular data service, where i never have an issue with my pioneer stereo in my wrx. and the icing on the crapcake that is the factory stereo, the screen shattered when i touched it to select a pandora station. the display still functions, but the top layer with the touch sensors is what broke, so i can only use the steering wheel controls or the buttons around the screen. I am actually waiting to hear back from the dealership about that issue.. it is just a poorly designed head unit....

• 4 months later...

I know its been a while, but I have an update. the dealership said that they wouldn't cover the stereo replacement, so I got a Pioneer avh-4200nex head unit and installed that this past weekend. I had to get a couple adapters to make the steering wheel controls work with it as well as the reverse camera. I didn't realize that the harness needed an adapter for the antenna, so I had to order that and the usb adapter. I also need to do some trouble shooting on the reverse camera, the head unit gets the reverse signal, but the camera doesn't come on. and for some reason, the brake light on the dash is on, which tells me that something in the e-brake lever switch is wonky, I might have clipped a wire or disconnected something when I ran the parking brake wire from the stereo.

when it rains, it pours... or in my case, hail..

on a positive note, the pioneer stereo sounds way better and I can connect to my phone for music, calls, and navigation.

• 11 months later...