Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replaceing the engine in 92 L series

Hi all I am new to this site and to Subaru's.    I picked up a 1992 L series wagon and it is a bit noise in the motor and done around 250000KM and it seems to drive ok ,plenty of power etc; and I was thinking of re-powering it with a 2ltr motor or later engine.    I was hopping for some advice?

Regards Jim (from Australia)

Jim, given you are in Vic the easiest (read: no engineering certificate required) option is a phase 1 EJ20 plus an adaptor plate from Scott in Bellingham on this site (shipping from the US to AUS on these plates is pretty cheap as they aren't heavy). At minimum I would recommend upgrading to RX rear discs to support the ~30% increase in performance.

You may be the only recorded person to say the EA82 has `plenty of power' !

• Like 2

What is “L series” - I guess previous post tells us it s an EA82?

Is it TOD: HLAs tucking?

EA82s routinely have HLAs ticking, inaccurately dubbed TOD, I have an entire thread written up about it - search it and read it:

1. Ignore it. You can drive it essentially indefinitely with TOD.

2. Reseal the oil pump

3. Replace the oil pump.

4. Replace a failed HLA if that’s the issue.

I’ve fixed every one with one of those steps.

Apparently they could also make noise if there are cam carrier orings leaking or other issues but they’re likely resigned to higher mileage’s or abuse or rare.

Edited by idosubaru

Jim, given you are in Vic the easiest (read: no engineering certificate required) option is a phase 1 EJ20 plus an adaptor plate from Scott in Bellingham on this site (shipping from the US to AUS on these plates is pretty cheap as they aren't heavy). At minimum I would recommend upgrading to RX rear discs to support the ~30% increase in performance.

You may be the only recorded person to say the EA82 has `plenty of power' !

I was going to comment on that before I saw your comment lol