Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All you need is a wafer thin smear. This isn't a SBC china wall..... just lightly with your finger.... just the tip and only for a minute. 

GD

Yep, just a thin smear. If the broken bolt is on the side with the o-ring there's little chance it will leak as long as the o-ring is new OE and properly seated.

The Ultra black has a stronger resistance to engine oil, and seems to have just as strong or maybe stronger bond as ultra grey.

Since I ran into an issue with the new water pump I installed being faulty, I'm going to kill some time by taking off the oil pump again and redoing the seal. But here's my big question-

How on earth am I supposed to get the oil pump free from the grip of the ultra black? It's putting up a very impressive fight

We used to use the Threebond 1217B which was a pink color.... That stuff is like concrete once dry - you almost have to destroy oil pans to get them off. They discontinued it though. Replaced it with 1217H which has done a great job thus far. Nissan sells it cheaper than Subaru by a huge margin. Not quite as aggressive as the B, but honestly that stuff was ridiculously over powered. 

GD

Why are you redoing it?

If it’s really tight be sure to walk it from side to side and various points even if it feels like it’s not moving or wiggling, keep at it. I’ve wiggled/walked stuff before and been surprised at things loosening after so many iterations I thought weren’t doing anything.