Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No wiring diagram optical dist between plug and dist?

jono

Any idea why there is no diagrams or info on this forbidden area of our EA82's?

My factory manual wiring for what is called a crank angle sensor sometimes , and at other times manual just calls it a distributor

Wiring identification stops at plug F41 from memory. On my 87.5 turbo vortex the wire colors change after this plug for some of the four wires

I think colors dist side are the usual red, black white and green. These colors not the same for some of these on the body\ecu side of the loom

don't remember exactly.

But I do know that the position of the white and the Green wires in the disty connector must be swapped to use an 87 in an 88+ or vice versa (88+ disty in the 87)

The reason is that actually the Ref and Signal pins are reversed at the ECU, for both SPFI and MPFI models after 88+.  But ECU pins are hard to move in the connector so reversing them at the disty is easiest.

• Like 1

Aha, it is then green and white eh? I had read this ages ago just not which wires or why.

Given the short supply of 87 I hope they never got this done!

I have got two of the 89 na mpfi and want to convert in prep and test to keep as a spare...with some confidence

Seems to be a dark epoxy filler in the heads of optical unit securing screws!!

Ahoy thinners!

Found a resistor someone soldered in between white and red? wires just after where F41 plug should be. F41 replaced with bullet terminals - erk!

This dist was in an XT with spider which I suspect started life as na mpfi fwd

• 2 weeks later...

OK.Anyone else guilty ? I just destroyed an optical dizzy, going where the subie manuals forbode or prohibited anyone from going

I scratched out the epoxy smothered all over the screws holding the module together and got to point of no return as i forced the top half off the bottom half of the optical sensor.

I was correct in thinking must be two light diodes in it as mentioned elsewhere due to two sets of circumferal slots to read off the disc as it rotates.

There are two light diodes

n between the two halves of black part is four light weight bare copper wires

Am guessing if I forced the cap off the top I would still have found an epoxy filled component

but now wondering how the reconditioners cardone do these? - whole new optical set up?

Photos to follow if I get enough requests