Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, its not a fuse issue because the power locks work when using the switch on the passenger door. They do not work when using the switch on the drivers door, and they do not work automatically when using the key. Would it be just the switch in the drivers door that is doing this, or is there some type of module involved?

Sometimes you can still use the little plastic clevis but if it’s trashed either locate one in the “Help” section at your chain parts store , or rig up what you can as I did. Used a wire tie because mine only needed to slide up and down. You’ll see.

Small hands , lol , seriously it’s not too easy so be patient. Enjoy

another possible issue is broken wire(s) in the bundle where they go between the chassis and the door - 20 years of being bent back and forth (opening & closing of the door) is hard on wiring.

either way - failed switch, unhooked linkage or broken wire(s) - you are going to have to pull the door card off and do some investigating

Edited by heartless
  • Like 1

Takes about one to two minutes to remove the door skin and I’m pretty sure you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Your last statement didn’t make too much sense to me. Do the 95-99’s lock from either side ?

To me there’s only one switch capable of locking/unlocking the other doors. The drivers.

Sorry if I didn’t see something. I do own a 97 but haven’t touched it yet as there is work to do first. So I’m not really used to the 95-99 controls.

On this car, there is an identical lock/unlock switch on both the driver and passenger doors.

1.The switch on the passenger door will lock and unlock all doors including the drivers door.

2. The switch on the drivers door acts completely dead. No noise or activity at all.

3. Locking and/or unlocking the drivers door with the key should correspondingly lock/unlock all doors, but this function is also dead. No noise or activity at all.

On this car, there is an identical lock/unlock switch on both the driver and passenger doors.

1.The switch on the passenger door will lock and unlock all doors including the drivers door.

2. The switch on the drivers door acts completely dead. No noise or activity at all.

3. Locking and/or unlocking the drivers door with the key should correspondingly lock/unlock all doors, but this function is also dead. No noise or activity at all.

this leads me to believe the switch itself is your problem.

Update:

I took the car to a mechanic. After some continuity testing, he found there were some severly corroded and broken wires in a large plug inside the driver side kick panel. He fixed the wires and now my locks work fine with the drivers door switch.

Thanks to all who replied and/or read this post.

• Like 1