Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Since you are in so far, I'd replace the fork and get a new dust boot for the trans.

When you put the new fork in put a dab of grease on the pivot point.

With the sleeve and new throughout bearing you should be good to go.

Have you resealed the air oil breather plate on the back of the block already?  If not I'd do that as well.

• Like 1

Plan on going to the dealer tomorrow (if they are open) and plan on getting;

Clutch Fork

Clutch Fork Spring

Clutch Fork Pivot Ball

Thats pretty much all the moving components. I have resealed the plate at the rear and put in a new rear main seal back when I swapped out the clutch a few months ago.

I am more curious if thats even going to stop the issue. There is so much slop/play in the whole setup. Are they meant to be like that?

Or is the throw out bearing simply meant to be "preloaded" onto the pressure plate?

Since you are in so far, I'd replace the fork and get a new dust boot for the trans.

When you put the new fork in put a dab of grease on the pivot point.

With the sleeve and new throughout bearing you should be good to go.

Have you resealed the air oil breather plate on the back of the block already?  If not I'd do that as well.

In your video you mention

a link to actually hearing your chirping..........  

Is that link posted somewhere already.... I haven't seen where to access it.......

The throw out bearing does not sit against the clutch Diaphram Spring......  Continuously.....

(if it was to do this it would overheat the bearing and prematurely wear it out)

You can have some lube on your moving parts in there

Throw out bearing  fork ball (lube)

Throw out bearing fork fingers (lube)

and when where throw out bearing slides on sleeve on input shaft of tranny

(some lube)  a nice film... don't over do it.......

But, yeah...................... I would like to hear you chirp........

My cars  we made a joke about a chirp I get...... I be damned! if I could figure it out....

Then one day it came to me.......   but, we said.....when we heard the chirping

that the "wild turkey is back!"

and it did it sounded like that and it sounded like it was coming from the clutch area

I always thought it was the throw out bearing.......

NOW my sound was only hear at driving speeds......  not in neutral idling....

Mine turned out to be.........

The  electric radiator cooling fan.......  and this would only happen in the winter....

what was happening the fan would get blasted with road wind and spin on its own

and that was making the turkey chirp sound.........

I would like to hear your chirp video

Thanks, MIcky

Thanks!....

I listened and I think if you were to determine  at what point in the vid (location range is seconds)  you want to address... that would make sense...

I hear a high chirp at about 6 seconds in...

I also hear something   later in the vid towards the end....

That aspect with you looking in the clutch disengagement system.....

Did you notice any change in your noise whie pushing the clutch in and out repetitively?.....

The sound that I am about to refer to....

(the one at 6 sec).........    to me is a creaking kind of sound....... maybe even

(am I am only speculating)    a weld joint which cracked.....  (IE: in  part of the exhaust system)

Also::::::::

Something to try .... Something to think about.......

"Can you create the scenario to produce the chirp"

"Can you  change something to stop the chirp"

Without actually determining what it  cause is.......................

Can (you) either have a Positive or negative affect  on it.........

Micky

At approx 7 seconds, I have my foot pressed on the clutch pedal. At about 9 seconds I release it and you can hear a light whistling/chirping noise. It sounds kind of like belt sequel but its the fork rocking side to side.

Is there a spring on the  fork  (  Clutch fork return spring)

This spring pulls the fork back to a rest position so that the

throw out bearing can maintain it's distance from the clutch diaphragm spring

I hear what you are talking about.....

and saw your statement, that it goes away  when you push the clutch in...

Does this behavior.... always exist????

like   when car is cold   car is hot......   at night... during day etc etc.....

Pretty much all the time. Hot/Cold doesn't matter, only goes away once the RPM's go up say past 2000rpm.

There is no clutch fork return spring, I believe these are the parts 

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2008_WRX-SEDAN-25L-TURBO-5MT-4WD/_52445_6027263/MT--CLUTCH/G12-100-01.html

No spring.

As per video, I am not sure what the cause of this is. Could it be a worn fork? Worn clip? There is not many parts in there.

Ive had a sound like that but seemingly farther along, for the entire year ive had my 95 legacy.
I actually thought at first it was screeching tires because it was happening when i would let the clutch out,

so i thought it was tires making the noise,

but as time went on i realized or i thought it was the throwout bearing wearing..

how far in do you have to push the clutch in to notice the lack of chirping....

Can't measure it exactly now but it would be approximately 4cm to 8cm of pushing in the pedal. Pretty much a tad before you have to apply any force

So if it is a tiny bit and then the chirping goes away.....

The key is to determine.......... the distance of "free play"..

(which is just the distance from the "at rest" location of the throw out bearing.....  to when it first touches the diaphram spring of the pressure plate.....)

My hunch is that it is not the throw out bearing.......

perhaps, the clip that  holds the shifter fork to the ball......

It is easier to feel "free play" with your hand on the clutch pedal.....

I would even go so far as pulling up with your hand on the pedal... see if that changes things....(probably not... but, good to establish either way)

so after pulling up with your hand bring it down to the point of tension... The distance your hand travels is the "free play"...

Listen for the sound..... during this process.. see if you can push clutch with your hand into the release process... and make sound go away....

No different than a foot.... but,  just trying to establish..."at which point does it infact  disappear.....

and also   what if you hold the fork with your hand while vehicle  idles???

I did move the clutch fork away, so into the slave cylinder while the engine was idling. The noise was still present from memory, but honestly I can't remember 100%.

I know that once activating the clutch, moving the clutch fork in the regular direction to activate the release bearing the noise would disappear. Perhaps there was too much free play? I did not adjust the free play of the clutch.

Don't worry about having too much free play....

(only that it could affect shifting ,,,  at some point)

you need distance between throwout bearing and clutch,,, when the bearing is not in use......(which is when the clutch is not in use.....)

You can put some lube on the shaft when you do a reinstall.........(there may be a spec for how much side to side play a

throwout bearing  has on the sleeve.I don't know it...   And this is not a mission critical thing.... [Maybe it would get "out of round" over time -  the sleeve]..)

What is the mileage on these parts/car?

So what about the possibility ( I know I wouldn't want to hear this what I am about to write)

That there is something up with the clutch disc........

there two different types of springs in a clutch disc.....

the wafer spring (which I can't see it being that)

the torsional coil springs (that is what I am being hypothetical about)

(cuz your sound is schrill like; almost like the sound on a black board when someone scratches the black board

but, reall fast! back and forth at about 800 rpm)

and the only reason I look at being hypothetical about the clutch disc

Is I can imagine a pressure plate chirping...(just too much tension -- but check the torque on the the bolts to the flywheel anyway)

pilot bearing(spigot bearing)  if clutch is engaged (even in neutral) it is not spinning......

It will only spin a little while disengaged.

So you just put this kit in only 5k ago?(3.2miles for us stone-age Neanderthal measurers)

And it is clear in your mind... that the sound was not a prior sound of the vehicle(before purchased

(and the only reason I say this is that I am not there and I am listening to a video

A nice video, but a video "none the less")

Technology is a good thing.... but, it in not the real thing..........

Hope they never think to replace meat and potatoes!

Thanks, Micky