Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Amsoil Trans Fluid - Sweet

My 2000 OBS Auto Trans with 180K on it always downshifted very firmly. I didn't mind but the better half didn't like it. Well, with Amsoil and a Wix filter installed it shifts almost without notice. Very nice.

thats awesome.

changing with regular ATF wouldn’t improve anything?

How did you change out - I figure I wouldn’t want to do multiple drain and fills with expensive product - I’d want as close to 100% as possible so to speak?

thats awesome.

changing with regular ATF wouldn’t improve anything?

How did you change out - I figure I wouldn’t want to do multiple drain and fills with expensive product - I’d want as close to 100% as possible so to speak?

Well you don't get much choice with an automatic. About half the fluid is in the torque converter and there is no way to drain that without removing it. There is also fluid in the tail housing and in the clutch drums that doesn't all drain out.

A couple of drain and fills is the best you can do unless you have a fluid machine and even then you need about 16 quarts to ensure 95% of the old fluid gets run out.

Buy a case, do three drain and refills. Change the spin-on filter on the last one.

If you know the fluid is clean just a single drain/fill is all that's needed. Do that every 15k along with the scheduled oil change. Change the filter around 60k.

If fluid is questionable do three drain fills, then follow the single change every 15k afterwards. Then you never really have the problem of horribly old/worn fluid.

I don't bother with trying to disconnect ATF cooler lines. The more you mess with the hoses the more likely they are to split and spray your fluid out all over the place. Kills the trans before you even realize anything is wrong.

Subarus have drain plugs and that makes it easy. On vehicles that don't have drain plugs I use a fluid evacuator.

Filling is usually the hard part. I use a 1qt capacity funnel with a 1/2" hose stuck on the end, a reducing barb fitting to a 3/8" hose about 12" long. Just long enough to stick into the dipstick tube and have a snug fit so it won't leak. let the funnel rest on hoses, wires, etc. Flip a quart of fluid upside down in the funnel and it drains itself into the trans without needing attention.

I've always pulled the radiator trans cooler return line and put it into a gallon jug.  

Fill the trans

Start the Car, let it pump a 1/2 gallon out

Stop the car, refill the trans and empty the jug

Repeat until clean fluid is coming out.

Pretty simple and works well.  Yes, check the line and make sure it's clamped on well.  Check the trans fluid level, COLD then HOT after a good drive.