Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Guys,

Im new to the message board so bear with me. I have an 02 Forester with 124k miles.  I just
recently started hearing a terrible squeaking noise when I accelerate and im pretty
sure its coming from the AC clutch. I removed the belt and noise goes away. Im
trying to go the cheap route and just replace the bearing but I can’t find the part
number.

Anyone else done this before and have the part number or any
advice? 

I also broke that little aluminum adjuster piece for the AC tensioner (2002 Forester)

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my local Subaru dealer had a replacement in stock, and for minimal cost.

EDIT: Here's the Subaru part number: 73134AC001

EDIT #2: I see that the part is also available on Amazon. Search for the part number.

Edited by forester2002s

Was the belt old? Loose?

Is the tensioner bearing noisy when you spin it by hand?

Is the AC pulley noisy if you spin it by hand?

The tensioner broke, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that belt hasn't been changed or checked for tension in a LONG time? Probably just needs a new damn belt and a little periodic attention from here on out.

How's your other maintenance? Timing belt replaced? You're 5 years overdue by time and 20k miles overdue by mileage. That breaks because of a locked up idler pulley and you've got a 5,000 repair bill.

• Like 1