Ultimate Subaru Message Board

late model 5MT into 99 Outback?

pontoontodd

It's either a 6 or 8mm hex I can't remember for sure, you might be able to find the exact size online. There are a few write ups floating around on installing the speedo gear stuff in the 05-09 LGT transmissions.

OK I'll just take a set, was wondering if it was some large size like 14 or 17.

The talk of axles is because you mentioned possibly getting the axles with the transmission above. I just wanted you to be aware that wouldn't really work out. I should have quoted you, this thread has had quite a bit discussed in it.

Still wondering if you know (or know where to find out) what axles might be longer than what I have.  Have wider than stock control arms on the car and I have some old FWD Legacy axles that have more plunge than normal EJ axles, but if I could find a better source of long axles that would be good.

Talked to a yard near here that has a 2016 with 19k miles, waiting to hear back to see if they can get it out of the car this week.  Axles and trans for $650.

GD (02-07 Impreza Sedan) definitely has wider track than yours. '02-'04ish (when they went to male inner) should have the same splines as yours.

I just checked on the 10 forester, 8mm

I will get one of those axles sometime to see.

So I got a 2013 Impreza 5MT TY758V45AA.  First thing I noticed is that the speed sensor hole is not machined.  Some pictures of them I've seen online (now) have that allen plug you mention, others are just not machined.  Figured I could machine it or worst case use an old case half and adjust the side bearing.

DSCF5236s.jpg

Checked the 4EAT spline stub and it fits the differential splines and bore nicely.  The seal is much larger though, figure I could switch the seals or buy/make a sleeve.  Case is not sitting flat in this picture.

DSCF5237s.jpg

Finally got the case split open and there is no speedo gear cut on the 3/4 double gear.

DSCF5233s.jpg

For what it's worth the gears measure the same width as the '99 5MT gears.  Anyone want a 2013 Impreza 5MT with 39k miles on it?

Front SVX axles are 10mm longer than SF Forester axles and inner cv's have 30° plunge. I had to change for SG Forester A-arms though,10mm longer, to fit them.

https://www.forum4x4.org/threads/117587-Subaru-forester?p=3242100&viewfull=1#post3242100

https://www.forum4x4.org/threads/117587-Subaru-forester?p=3227026&viewfull=1#post3227026

Edited by jf1sf5
  • Like 1

I would really like to find a 5MT with less than 100k miles and 20 years on it.  Must have 4.11 ring and pinion and VSS.  A taller fifth than the stock 99 Outback (.87) would be nice too.

The only thing I can find like that I can find is the 2004-2008 Forester.  According to the FSM and subarupartwholesale, they had a VSS until 2008.  In 2009 it shows a plug.  I've seen pictures on car-part of a 2004 and 2005 with the VSS in the side.  Car-part is showing the 2004, 2005, and 2006-08 do not interchange but I don't know why.

According to the FSMs and cars101 the 04-08 Forester has about the same ratios as my 99 OB but a taller (.78) fifth.

The pictures on car-part show plugs in the side, no CV axle stubs.  The plugs look pretty big too, I'm assuming it's the same issue I ran into with the 2013 Impreza trans.  It looks like those bigger seals can be replaced without unthreading the side caps, is that right?  Couldn't find stubs on subarupartwholesale for 04-06 Forester in the front axle or front diff section.  Anyone know if my 2002 4EAT stubs would fit?  Again, worst case I turn up a couple sleeves in the meantime to make the seals work.

There are a couple of 2005 Forester 5MTs with about 60k miles on them within 50 miles of my house for about $500.

Anything else I should check?

GD (02-07 Impreza Sedan) definitely has wider track than yours. '02-'04ish (when they went to male inner) should have the same splines as yours.

I just checked on the 10 forester, 8mm

Noticed car-part lists tons of different axles for 2003 Impreza.  I understand AT and MT are different, sounds like you're saying the sedan is wider than the wagon, so that explains the front.

For the rear they're showing different left vs right and different for RS/TS/Outback/WRX (different for sedan and wagon)???  Are there really ten different rear axles?

Front SVX axles are 10mm longer than SF Forester axles and inner cv's have 30° plunge. I had to change for SG Forester A-arms though,10mm longer, to fit them.

https://www.forum4x4.org/threads/117587-Subaru-forester?p=3242100&viewfull=1#post3242100

https://www.forum4x4.org/threads/117587-Subaru-forester?p=3227026&viewfull=1#post3227026

Did you get front wheel drive or four wheel drive SVX axles?  Car-part lists them separately, there's a pair of 4WD SVX axles in town for $45 each.  I know the early 90s Legacy FWD axles were bigger than the 4WD axles.

Noticed car-part lists tons of different axles for 2003 Impreza.  I understand AT and MT are different, sounds like you're saying the sedan is wider than the wagon, so that explains the front.

For the rear they're showing different left vs right and different for RS/TS/Outback/WRX (different for sedan and wagon)???  Are there really ten different rear axles?

The spiral on the stub that goes in the diff is different side to side, which is why the seals are side-specific as well. STi is a whole different animal, of course.

And yes, GD rear track is wider than GG just like the front.

Did you get front wheel drive or four wheel drive SVX axles?  Car-part lists them separately, there's a pair of 4WD SVX axles in town for $45 each.  I know the early 90s Legacy FWD axles were bigger than the 4WD axles.

They came out of a 4WD SVX, no FWD SVX were imported to Switzerland

In case anyone else is trying to put a newer EJ trans into an older EJ car, the main issue keeping the 2005 Forester trans from being a direct swap was the axle stubs and seals.  I have a few 4EAT stubs and they fit the front diff but the seal diameter on them is 30mm.  The seals on the trans are much bigger.

DSCF5250s.jpg

I thought about buying or reusing some 30mm seals, the OD measures about the same.  Instead I ordered some IR35x30x13 inner bearing races and siliconed them onto the stubs.  They're smooth and hardened so hopefully the sleeves and seals will last a long time.

DSCF5254s.jpg

They seem like a good fit in the seals, there's a good amount of tension.

DSCF5256s.jpg

The shift yoke is different, the later transmissions use a straight bolt and the older ones used a shoulder bolt, so I swapped that over from my old trans.  Other than that everything is the same, this 2005 Forester trans seems to work well in my 1999 Outback.