Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.5 Phase I Head Gasket Problem Mileage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 captapd

captapd

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Santa Rosa, California

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:09 PM

My 97 2.5 GT with the Phase I engine is approaching 120,000. What are my changes of taking it past 200,000 without this problem rearing it's ugly head. Is there a consistent mileage were the head gaskets go or is it just luck or misfortune.

Ciao

#2 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 05 July 2004 - 12:18 PM

mileage doesn't seem to be a good indicator. some people experienced failures young (30k), while many didn't have any trouble until 150k and beyond...

you can browse through this list...
http://mysite.verizo...e/guestlog.html

#3 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:14 AM

Although it's not fun, if it's hot out and you're worried about overheating you can turn the heat on full, crank up the fan, and open the windows.

My sub was running a little hot last summer and this always got the gage back to normal. My mechanic flushed the cooling system and it's been fine since - 97 OBW, 140K miles.

Nevertheless, with all the reports of head gasket failures and the two hottest months of the year upon us, I brought mine in today for "preemptive" replacement of the head gaskets. It's at Peabody Sunoco in Peabody, MA, who has done all the work on the car previously (tuneups, camshaft gaskets, etc.) and has done a good job. They've done several Subarus, but say they can't honestly say they've seen a pattern of failure.

I'm going to have the valve seals replaced and the seats honed as well, while it's in.

#4 Ranger83

Ranger83

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 740 posts
  • Northeast

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

mileage doesn't seem to be a good indicator. some people experienced failures young (30k), while many didn't have any trouble until 150k and beyond...

you can browse through this list...
http://mysite.verizo...e/guestlog.html

This site says it's locked?

#5 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

From what I understand, the incidence of failure depends on how hard the car is driven, and how close attention you pay to the temp guage. If most of your driving is on the highway, and yor car never overheats, you should have no problems. . .

If you actually use the HP that comes with the 2.5L engine, however. . . . :brow:

#6 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 15 April 2005 - 09:55 PM

My 97 2.5 GT with the Phase I engine is approaching 120,000. What are my changes of taking it past 200,000 without this problem rearing it's ugly head. Is there a consistent mileage were the head gaskets go or is it just luck or misfortune.

Ciao

Keep your fluid fresh and you might be fine. It is a total hit and miss. I know of many 200k 2.5 that go to my local subaru shop.

#7 theotherskip

theotherskip

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Philly, PA

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:47 PM

This site says it's locked?

the site has moved. it is now at:

http://home.comcast.net/~skipnospam/

#8 dominical1

dominical1

subaru, it's an obsession

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Salt Spring Island, B.C.

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

Ciao

Just expect the failure! Poor design on Subaru's part. Even with regular maintenance and not pushing any limits mine bit the dust @ 80,000 miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users