Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am new to the board and wish to say hello. I have a 2000 Outback Sedan Limited and am struggling with an ongoing problem with the security system for the vehicle. Rather than belabor you with the entire history I will summarize.

If I let the vehicle sit in the sun for approximately 3 hours or more I am unable to arm the security system without the horn intermittently sounding every couple of seconds. At this point it is necessary to go to "valet mode" to lock the vehicle. However, if I let the car sit in the garage overnight, I can then arm the vehicle and it will sit happily all day in the sun without problem. If at any point after 3 hours I disarm and then rearm the vehicle I get the horn again. This first occured about 6 weeks ago, although it took several weeks to figure out what I have relayed.

I took it to the dealer before I had determined how to reproduce the error and they were unable to do anything. They said I had to reproduce it before they could do anything. When I determined how to reproduce it, they were not accomodating about an afternoon appointment on a sunny day. I tried several aftermarket alarm shops but they said they could only work on aftermarket systems. Rather frustrated now, I took it to an independent mechanic who said there was no guarantee he would be able to fix it. I let it sit in the sun all morning to induce the problem and brought it in. He ran a series of 20 diagnostic tests on the security system and was mystified that the dealer had not done so. Four of the tests failed and all required a working security system control module to proceed. Thus I will pay them to replace the control module and hope that will fix it.

Does anyone have any experience, thoughts or advice they could share? Thanks.

Tom

Welcome. not may Outback Sedans here...

Hmmm.. Outback Wagon = OBW

Outback Sport = OBS...

Outback Sedans..... = ??

Hey nows the chance to make a mark on USMB and start your own abbreviation.

Re: your security problem. Never heard of anyone else having the problem. May be a defective alarm module.

BW

hey nother newbie here, I have a 2003 baja, soon to have a lot of work done too it. I am only 20 so you know the work is to make it fast and the stereo loud. I pretty much chose to get it because i like the styling and nobody in the custom car scene around here has one.

Guest Vickaroo

Hi Tom and Welcome!!!!!

How old is you security system???? Who made it, and where did you buy it from? Who installed it? Someone should cover this problem... (if its not too old) It just may be time to get a new system... You could always do a google and send the makers of the system an email too... Awwwwww the internet opens a whole new world.... Good luck with your problem... I know I go crazy when someone lets their security system just go and go... Vicky

Welcome to the board (both of you). Smeone here will have an idea, but a preliminary thought is that there is a poor electrical connection (faulty ground?) that's allowing intermittent conductivity - a "leaching" off of power that, after 3 hours tells the system to reset. My .02.

Thanks for the replies. The security system is a Subaru system that came with the car when we bought it in October, 1999. I assumed it was factory installed but the mechanic who did the diagnostics said he discovered it was installed by the dealer. I was unsure of the importance of that fact.

OBS = Outback Sport? Jeez we was robbed!

OBSD is the only acronym I can kluge up.