Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WANTED where to find GPS Navigation for 2005 Outback

I definitely need help on finding a top of the line Navigation system that will go into a 2005 Outback without replacing a greater part of the dash. I have the Turbo 2.5 limited Outback with 6 cd disk changer and controls for the radio on the steering wheel. I imagine there will be a kit coming out for the dash in the near future. I am suprised that Subaru was so short sighted as not to offer Navigation in their new models. What I really need is a good advice from an experienced installer as which way to go. I am in the Seattle area.

Uh.. The 2.5XT (turbo model) doesn't have radio controls on the steering wheel. I beleive the 3.0 models has the radio controls on the steering wheel. If there are only a "+" and "-" button on each side, then it's for the SportShift feature. Maybe that'll explain why your car keeps downshifting everytime you are trying to turn down the volume... :)

However, you are right. I was really disappointed that they didn't offer a nav system when Japan already had them in 2004! And to top it off, many makers are offering MP3 capability in their radios where Subaru didn't. :banghead:

So far, I've seen two makers that offer GPS system. They have a retractable screen. One is made by Pioneer, and the other is by Apline. I'm sure there are more makers that make a head unit that has GPS capabilities. For me personally, I would go with Pioneer, as I have a Pioneer MP3 CD player in my 96 Outback and I love it.

Hi:

Thanks for the info. My 2.5 XT Turbo does have radio controls on the left side of the steering wheel, and sportshift on the right side of the steering wheel. Both are operated with a + and -.

Uh.. The 2.5XT (turbo model) doesn't have radio controls on the steering wheel. I beleive the 3.0 models has the radio controls on the steering wheel. If there are only a "+" and "-" button on each side, then it's for the SportShift feature. Maybe that'll explain why your car keeps downshifting everytime you are trying to turn down the volume... :)

However, you are right. I was really disappointed that they didn't offer a nav system when Japan already had them in 2004! And to top it off, many makers are offering MP3 capability in their radios where Subaru didn't. :banghead:

So far, I've seen two makers that offer GPS system. They have a retractable screen. One is made by Pioneer, and the other is by Apline. I'm sure there are more makers that make a head unit that has GPS capabilities. For me personally, I would go with Pioneer, as I have a Pioneer MP3 CD player in my 96 Outback and I love it.

Hi:

Thanks for the info. My 2.5 XT Turbo does have radio controls on the left side of the steering wheel, and sportshift on the right side of the steering wheel. Both are operated with a + and -.

That could get interesting for a driver not used to the car.