Ultimate Subaru Message Board

am i nuts or what?

here's what i want to do, tell me if i'm totally out of my mind or not.

got a 92 loyale wagon, want to loose the fuel injection & the brain box. replace it with a carb & an ignition module of some sort.

have got the body bout off, gonna weld up some sort of frame, gonna use it as an ATV in canada. want to simplify the unit by puttin in a manual choke carb and simple ignition system.

am new to this site but it sounds like a lot of experts are active. just want to know if i'm full of beans.

thanx for any help.

Don't worry, your not nuts, least not when your compared to half of us on here.

Wouldn't be too hard to convert over. All you need to do is get or make a carby intake manifold and the dizzy from a carb'd car. Wire up the dizzy to the ignition box, drop on the carb'd manifold and carby. You don't even have to take out the brain box or any of the wireing.

You certainly can convert it over; but why? FUel Injection is superior. Dont belive all the hype around carbs :) Especially in an All Terrain Vewhicle where you will be at extreem angles and such. But to each their own; if you are more comfortable with a carb setup do it up!

As for making a solid frame thats not nutty! SOmeone allready had a shop do that for them. Apparently he just welded the 2 main subframes together making a solid frame.

I would suggeswt doing this with the body still ON. That way the length between the subframes is corerct (for things like the driveshaft!) and you wont bev struggeling to mearsire up all sides and have proper angles etc etc etc. I'd weld the subframes together and then pull off the body. This is a unibody, no solid frame. So when you take off the subframes you have to seperate assemblies.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :)

efi rools, i was at work yesterday talkin to a guy that builds gyrocopters(not commercially :brow: ). he said he uses subaru mpfi and an ea82 on one of his choppers. he was there wanting to buy two 115 hp harley watercooled motors, for his next one!_! those are efi too. if its good enough for air its good for the ground. hehe

i like efi, but carbs work good too, as long as its not a hitachi with 130k miles on it.=]

thanks for your advise so far.

my thinking w/ going w/ a carb rather than the efi is to not have to worry bout all the electronics involved. want it as simple as possible. might have to rethink that given the latest advise.

i've taken a grinder to the top of the rig. the bottom half of the body is still intact, realize that a unibody will fold like a cheap wallet. i'm sure this will be a multiyear project as i only will have time to fart around w/it in the winter (darn lawn).

just hope i didn't cut the wrong wires & the darn thing will fire up agin. wouldn't think i would have that problem if i change the ignition & fuel system. this rig is gonna get parked in the woods in canada & used to haul a boat around.

if you wan to go to carb, it can be done with all stock parts

find a carb and intake together, it bolts right on(and a weber carb can fit on the intake) find a distributor form any 85-87 carb ea82, and it will fit. connect it to the coil. you can leave all the existing spfi wiring and ecu itact, asd they will have no effect on the ign, and its not necessary to remove it. install a carb fuel pump(low pressure) in place of the fi one, you can even get away with eliminating the fuel return lines if the fuel wont blow past the needle valve in the float. connect the fuel pump to either the positive coil terminal or a toggle switch

if so happens you cut too many wires, wire the coil to ign(or a toggle), do like you would a derby car for charge, ign, fuel

its not much to do, i have run carb motors in an spfi body, and 2 mpfi turbo bodies. right now one is my daily driver, all of the mpfi is intact if i go back to mpfi turbo motor