Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello. New guy.

96 Outback I have had since 97. 150,000 miles and runs like new. Love the car.

The unlocking all the doors by unlocking the driver's door only works intermittently. You can hear the locks trying to unlock but it doesn't happen-always either all doors and the liftgate do not open or they do. So it is not just one door sticking.

I'm thinking I should replace the master lock control under the dash-but wanted to check with the experts before doing so.

If I am on the right track, does anyone know a good source for this part? I don't want to know what the dealer charges.

Thank you,

DAVE (headhunter 04)

I have not worked on this before but I would assume there is a relay that supplies power to the latches. If there is, would try replacing that first.

Does anyone know if there is a relay and where I would access it? i have the Haynes manual so will check that, but I have never been very good at reading electrical schematics.

Thanks Subie heads!

headhunter

See if there is a common connection to the electric plungers for all the lock levers. Whatever it is, the manual will hopefully tell you where to locate it. I would assume it is near or under the dash but I can't say for sure.

See if there is a common connection to the electric plungers for all the lock levers. Whatever it is, the manual will hopefully tell you where to locate it. I would assume it is near or under the dash but I can't say for sure.

Thanks for your help Cougar. Found a relay under the dash that I will try replacing. It is 60 bucks from the stealership.

I'll let you know if that fixes it.

I see you are in AK-How's life up there? I really want to visit Alaska.

Headhunter

Mine does the same thing, so I'd be interested in the repair procedure, for sure.

What is the part number on that relay?

Although, I've always wondered about safety issues with unlocking ALL the doors when unlocking the driver's door. If someone were trying to get away from someone, be best to only have one door accessible and unlocked.

60 dollars? WOW!

Before going out and purchasing a new one I would try verifing that really is the problem.

First, is this relay really in the cicruit you are having trouble with? You should be able to pull the relay out of the socket and see if that totally kills the latch operation.

Second, you may be able to swap it with another relay from under the dash of the same kind. Try to find another like it.

Lastly, you might want to try getting a used one from a salvage yard for a lot less.

• Like 1