Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Single Range Gears???

I know the 80-82 GL 4spd D/R had a 4th gear equivolent to the 5th in a 5spd D/R. I have an 82 DL with a single-range 4spd, whats this ratio, is it good like the 82, or crap like the 83?

Doing some musical chairs with transmissions at the moment, and I want the car with the tow-hitch to have dual range, the quicker/streeter type car doesn't need it. However, if the gearing sucks, I may as well go with the 'known good' 84 D/R...:rolleyes:

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -

The 4th in the 81/82 D/R is a lot lower than the 5th in the 5 speed. I can actually use 4th in my lifted wagon, where 5th hardly gets used at all on Nick's wagon with the 5 speed.

The stock 82 Brat I have here will tach at 5k in 4th gear at 85 MPH.... they changed the ratio in 83 for better fuel econemy..... the 4th gear in the 5 speed might be close to the 4th in the 81/82 D/R. Actually - they changed 3rd AND 4th gear. 1 and 2 are the same I beleive. Personally for a street rig I would go with the 83+ 4 speed. I have on in my 85 Brat, and it's just fine. Has a better top speed too.

GD

Well I use 5th on almost every commute, I may downshift for steeper grades - but if I'm at 60 or over, I do just fine in 5th in my lifted wagon - 80mph I think is still a tad under 4k for me. However, last time I took 5th up to around 75 on the speedo, it was about a 5k shift... hijacking my own post

From what you say - it doesn't really make enough of a difference to worry about then...

Thanks for the input - anyone else???

- Erik - Tacoma, WA -