Ultimate Subaru Message Board

solid axle +....

my Brat!!!! This is no ordinary solid axle conversion though. I am going to be using a Datsun 510 wagon axle and stuff it in the rear. I then am going to make a 4-link setup for it and rework the front suspension to make.........

The TRUE MINIBRAT!!!!

I already an axle lined up for the project. If this all goes good, I might start making a conversion kit for a gen 1 so other people can do this but that will be just a little while down the road. I figure this will be my big project while I'm in Wyoming besides building the EA81TT for the wagon. I'm thinking about even tually building an EA81TT for the Brat too but thats in the future:D I can get a posi unit for this axle easily and I can decide what gear ratio I want to use. Even though some people might not want to hear it but I also had the thought running through my head to drop a Grand National 3.8 turbo motor into it with the 5-speed but thats just a thought I had.....

I can get a posi unit for this axle easily and I can decide what gear ratio I want to use. Even though some people might not want to hear it but I also had the thought running through my head to drop a Grand National 3.8 turbo motor into it with the 5-speed but thats just a thought I had.....

oh baby that would be scary fun :burnout:

-mike

yeah Andrew, read what Jared wrote:D Its a solid axle from a Datsun wagon so the axles should be strong enough. I basically want to do it so I can drag frame like a minitruck but still have it be a Brat. I soooo wanna drop a GN turbo motor into this car...like Mike said "That would be Scary fun"....well not just scary fun, more like scary fast:D

I can get a posi unit for this axle easily and I can decide what gear ratio I want to use.

I'm a 510 guy, and have never heard of an LSD or alternate gearing for the wagon rear end. Are you sure you're not thinking of the sedan? It has the same R160 differential as subarus, and LSDs and alternate gearing is available for that differential. It's not a solid axle though.