Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two Problems with Subaru Leone 1800 GL

I have two problems (Leone 1800L Sedan, 1986):

1. The signal horn. It doesn't work anymore. Apperently it isn't the fuse, but I can't find that signal horn. Lukas said, that he has read that it is located in the mud guard. But in which? There are two...

2. My electric FWD/4WD switch doesn't work anymore, I can't activate the 4WD drive. has anyone an idea what could be the problem?

Thanks a lot!!

I have two problems (Leone 1800L Sedan, 1986):

1. The signal horn. It doesn't work anymore. Apperently it isn't the fuse, but I can't find that signal horn. Lukas said, that he has read that it is located in the mud guard. But in which? There are two...

2. My electric FWD/4WD switch doesn't work anymore, I can't activate the 4WD drive. has anyone an idea what could be the problem?

Thanks a lot!!

1. The horn(s) are located on the front header panel, below the headlights. I don't think thats your problem, however. Most likely, it is a problem with the horn button in your steering wheel.

2. Probably a disconnected vacuum hose. Check the vacuum connections in area near the firewall/shock tower on the passenger side.

good luck, John

Thanks a lot!!

Is the car an automatic or manual.

I have no idea about the automatics, but on the manual pushbutton 4wd trannies, there is an electrically activated vacuum solenoid that controls 4wd switching. its located on the drivers side strut tower and can be heard to click when switching.

the horn circuit grounds thru the switch. like john said they are behind the headlight area.

the pushbutton 4wd is vacuum operated. there is a pair of vacuum solenoids on the drivers side(left hand drive) strut tower. they have a line each to a diaphragm on the tranny itself. they are supplied vacuum to from the vac canister on the other side of the firewall, check all the little plastic lines that run from it to the solenoids just under the rubber hood seal on the firewall.

the canister itself is supplied vacuum to from a rather narrow hose that runs from thi intake manifold and along the strut tower. ususlly the hose has a reducer fitting from a larger hose on the intake itself

does the heater vent selector work? if say you put it on defrost and it blows out the dash vent, that will confirm having no vacuum on the canister, since the heater controls work off the same vac supply