Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unhooking heated windshield?

Hi all!

Just looking for some thoughts. I am an auto glass pro in Central PA. Currently on my 5th sube and am pretty familiar with subes. (in part thanks to this board!) Have one that has me scratching my head though.

We have a customer that has a 96 Outback with the cold weather package which includes the heated windshield. Customer didn't know the windshield was heated as he was not the original owner and as you may know, the early design of the heated w/s makes them hard to see the heating elements at the base of the windshield. As I was removing the w/s moldings and the cowl cover, I saw the wires for the windshield. We contacted the customer to let him know that the heated windshield was going to cost him about $200.00 more for the heated windshield. (no comp on his insurance) He understands but he just wants us to install the non-heated windshield. Now, does anyone know what type of repercussions this may have if we simply unplug it and leave the electrical system intact without anything hooked up to it? Is it possible the system might go haywire/fry if it is activated and there is nothing there? Don't want to screw the guy over but we also don't want to be liable.

Our concern goes back to the old (late 80's) Ford heated windshields. They were known as "Insta-Clear". Due to countless problems, Ford discontinued this design and the heated windshield is not even available any more. BUT, before we can install the non-heated w/s, the customer must bring us a receipt showing that the ENTIRE electrical system for the windshield has be disabled/removed by a Ford authorized garage. There were cases of vehicles burning to a crisp which is why Ford put out the TSB with explicit instructions relating to the disable. http://www.glasslinks.com/tips/htd1.htm (this is an early TSB before the big problems started)

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated! This car has been at our shop for over a week now and we would really like to get it out of there, one way or another.

THANKS!!!

I don't see how there could be a problem if you just leave the connector dangling. The only possible problem that I can see is that the loose wire might contact something sharp, causing the insulation to wear away. Thus is there is always the very remote possibility that the wiring might short out. You'll have this problem even if the windshield is connected.

To be safe, use some tie-wraps to prevent the connector and its wiring from budging.

Check for a fuse for the heated windshield, and remove if present. There might be only one fuse for the front and rear glass heaters. In this case, don't remove the fuse because the customer will certainly want to retain the rear heater function.

Subaru uses lots of relays. There might be a relay just for the front windshield heater. If so, you can pull this relay.

Sorry, I can't advise you any further -- I don't have a car with this feature (wish I did, though).

We have a customer that has a 96 Outback with the cold weather package which includes the heated windshield.

Are you sure it is a 96?

I was under the impression that heated windshields did not start till 98 with the all-weather package?

(changed name in 98 from Cold weather package 96-97)

I have an 96 and do not see anything, did someone replace mine with one without it?

How does it get activated?

Thanks

Look VERY, VERY close at the frit at the base of your windshield. (frit is the black ceramic band going around the perimeter of your windshield)

As I stated in my post, it is VERY hard to see, but if it is CLEAN and you look at the right angle, you will see very fine lines going horizontally across the frit. (if it has it)

I wouldnt worry one bit about unplugging that thing. If that's what the custy wants then do it up. If you are worried about water getting in there then pack the plug with dielectric grease or tape it up good and tuck it away somewhere. Also heat shrink wrap will seal up GOOD if you do it right.