Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electric cooling fan

I've been running just an electric fan now for several years. This is on a stock single row radiator, stock electric fan, EA82 SPFI. I dont even have to turn it on unless I'm moving under 30 mph or at a complete stop.

You could also run dual electric fans for superior cooling.

Did you have to rewire the stock fan? Thermostat or a switch on the dash?

Yeah I hard wired it. My thermosensor was broken. Originaly I had a switch in the cabin, controling a 15 AMP relay under the bonnet which controled the fan itself. Since I have just wired up the fan directly to the switch. Not the best idea but switches are cheap and easy to replace :) Relay makes a more safe circut and is recommended.

The electric fan is actually the stock one and the mechanical one was added to the A/C cars. If you don’t have A/C you should be fine with one (or two) of the stock type electric ones. If you do have A/C (and use it) I’d stick with the mechanical one, or if you do want to go with twin electric get a high flow aftermarket one, I don’t think the stock electric one can pull near the air that the mechanical does, just look at the size and pitch of its blades.

The amount of power saved buy switching from a mechanical fan to an electric is a bit of a myth, if the mechanical clutch fan is functioning properly it only pulls when the rad is hot and needs it. The electric fan requires power too, and its power is subject to two electo-mechanical conversion (alternator and fan motor), both of which have about a 70% conversion efficacy, so the electric one requires about 50% more input power for the same output.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

So ... does anyone have any recommendations pro/warnings con for a high flow after market OEM electric radiator fan?

My EA81 main cooling fan (electric) is about go and I need to replace it. I have A/C and can't live without it here in Louisiana. One fan isn't enough to keep that EA81 cool, even on cool days (72).

------

Has anyone added a push fan setup in addition to standard fans. Does it help? Any drawbacks?

Flex-a-lite has some 1250 cfm singles/2500 cfm duals fans ... seem a bit pricey though.

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to the Subaru message board. My 1995 Subaru Legacy possibly has a problem with the cooling fans. At least that is my gut. When I look at the two cooling fans, they cycle on and off very frequently and always together? The engine has never overheated, but this seems strange. Is this normal? If not, what is the cause? I am handy and very willing to get dirty.

Thanks,

John

jls667 at yahoo.com

I'm not familiar with that year but I'll pass along what I generally understand about the situation. One of the fans governed by thermo-sensors located in the radiator. It the coolant reaches a certain temp, the sensors activate the fan. When the temp drops below a certain point, it stops. If you activate the air conditioner, a fan usually comes on automatically. If your fans are working and the engine isn't overheating, it doesn't sound like you have a problem. If they didn't work or the engine kept overheating, you'd have a problem. Make sure you check your coolant regularly. The water will evaporate, the antifreeze won't.