Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(must resist the urge to flame...............aghhhhhhhhh...............stupidity abounds..................................) if you think that Subaru it selling the WRX as a drag car then fine, go ahead and think that. but don't argue the retarded conclusion on the interweb, please. and the WRX tranny is not weak, its all from the drivers doing stupid stuff like this, I mean drop the clutch in any car that has the grip of AWD and see what happens.

(ps DIAFT)

(must resist the urge to flame...............aghhhhhhhhh...............stupidity abounds..................................) if you think that Subaru it selling the WRX as a drag car then fine, go ahead and think that. but don't argue the retarded conclusion on the interweb, please. and the WRX tranny is not weak, its all from the drivers doing stupid stuff like this, I mean drop the clutch in any car that has the grip of AWD and see what happens.

(ps DIAFT)

I agree but subaru shouldent of sold the WRX becasue of its 0-60 times. They should of sold it as a rally car, which it is.

THEY DIDN'T!!!!!!!!! the 0-60 it a selling point of EVERY SPORTS CAR.... hell every car really, but they did not focus on that ONE point. THAT IS ALL!!!!!

Exactly. When Ford sells an excursion, or when chevy sells a suburban, they tell you along with the tow rating, the 0-60 times. Does that mean that they are selling a race truck? No. It means that they are telling you how long it takes for it to reach 60mph, because apparently that impresses people, and it is a SELLING POINT. Any car sold, go search and i guarentee you can find the 0-60 times. So why the bitching. Subaru didnt sell the WRX as a drag car they simply told you what the car can do, and if it can go 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, then why not tell the consumer. Sure racing arround is not good for the car, but that goes for ALL cars. Subaru advertized, but it is COMPLETELY up to the consumer to know that dumping the clutch will hurt the car.

Besides why do you think on all television comercials, at the bottom it says, "Do not attempt, professional driver on closed course."

If someone blows up there tranny by racing, and complaion because it couldnt handle it, simply, they're stupid.

Exactly. When Ford sells an excursion, or when chevy sells a suburban, they tell you along with the tow rating, the 0-60 times. Does that mean that they are selling a race truck? No. It means that they are telling you how long it takes for it to reach 60mph, because apparently that impresses people, and it is a SELLING POINT. Any car sold, go search and i guarentee you can find the 0-60 times. So why the bitching. Subaru didnt sell the WRX as a drag car they simply told you what the car can do, and if it can go 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, then why not tell the consumer. Sure racing arround is not good for the car, but that goes for ALL cars. Subaru advertized, but it is COMPLETELY up to the consumer to know that dumping the clutch will hurt the car.

Besides why do you think on all television comercials, at the bottom it says, "Do not attempt, professional driver on closed course."

If someone blows up there tranny by racing, and complaion because it couldnt handle it, simply, they're stupid.

The thing is many sports cars have a drivtrain that can hanld the power the engine puts out and the possible streses from use. I bet if could be as violet as you wanted with a ford excusion for a 0-60 tme and it would last many more than the WRX. Since its a fast car subaru should of designed it for it would see in the world, they said it could go 0-60 in 5.4 secs thats a quality that it has, a point, they should also have a drivtrain behind it that can handle the 5.4 sec 0-60 time sicne they braged about.

Yes or not marketed the WRX as a fast car for launches. AWD does have alot of advantages, but it also puts alot more stress on the drivtrain which should be taken into account when building it. I think subaru shoiuld just put there 6spd, and r180 rear end into the turbo vehicles, and the 6spd could just use the VC center diff to keep cost down, it would add probley less than 1grand to the price of the car, but then it would have a unbeakble drivtrain.

Okay, WRX, so if you race along a mountain road, getting the brakes working hard, and suddenly encounter a situation that means stopping dead, very fast. And you rest your foot on the brake pedal, while waiting five minutes for the obstruction to clear, and then find that your brakes judder the next time you use them....that means the car is to blame?

My Impreza is rated as being capable of getting 11.1km per liter of petrol, in the urban cycle. I am getting about 10km/l. This is also Subaru's fault in your logic. Nothing to do with my lead foot, obviously.

0-60 times are essentially meaningless. But the public at large find them easy to relate to. In-gear acceleration times, from 30-50, 30-80mph, would be far more useful for people who want to know how fast a car is on a real road, in a real situation.

Nissan copped out with the Z-series back in the seventies. As the cars grew heavier the gear ratios were made "longer", blunting the car's acceleration even more. HOWEVER, it did mean less torque multiplication in the transmission and therefore lower stress on the bearings and casings. Both of which had proved weak in high mileage testing.

Is that what you want? Slower cars, with overdimensioned parts to protect the hamfisted?

Scream and yell all you want, nobody in the advertising word cares. how many 5.5 peak hp. electrick air compressors or vacuum cleaners have you seen? i'm not in the mood to do the reasearch. Typical houshold outlet= 15 amps at 115 volts. now if I could remember how many watts a horepower is.. oh well. my unproved point is that 5.5 horse can't be created through a houshold socket, but that doesn't stop the advertisers from claiming so, because with the right currant and voltage, the electric motor could atain 5.5 horse, if only for a few seconds. Another case: my 1948 economy tractor has a 6.5 horse rated engine on it. My 1990's B&S pushmower has a 5.5 horse rated engine on it. The two engines are both simply carbed L head engines, comprable compression ratios, with my tractors being much larger displacement. Now what makes these engines almoast power equals in rating? Simply the word "peak" power. the lawnmower, when run at over redline speeds, will produce the "peak" power rating, but not for long. My tractor can produce its actual operating horse power all day long. This is what 50 years of advertisers have brought us to. We let it happen by believing their almost false claims. Only now do we start to complain, and we let it loose at a company that hasn't been badly violating the laws of reality with its advertising. Whatever.. longwinded reply to what I see as pointless arguing over a pointless issue.

P = IV for DC systems or AC systems with a power factor of 1.

1 hp = ~746 watts

True, but remember the watts are electrical input and the HP is mechanical output, typical electric motors have a conversion efficacy of about 75%, so the general rule of thumb is 1000W in ~ 1hp out. Just to put a finer point on it.

Gary

P.S. The most over rated things I've ever seen are are car audio amps. If you have ever stood in front of a 100 watt class A, all tube, Marshall guitar amp you know that "400" watt spark-o-static in you ride is lying.

P.S. The most over rated things I've ever seen are are car audio amps. If you have ever stood in front of a 100 watt class A, all tube, Marshall guitar amp you know that "400" watt spark-o-static in you ride is lying.

Now now. That's not over rated, it's just well marketed. The Marshall is putting out 100watts RMS and a peak power somewhere over 200watts. The spark-o-matic amps has atleast two channels putting out a combined peak power total of 400watts on a 14 volt system. Same thing as what 91Loyale was talking about with the tractor motor.