Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cv boot broken

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eastwestboy

eastwestboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • canada

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:43 AM

Hello
I just discovered a broken outer cv boot on the 98 Legacy. In the Haynes manual they say I have to unstake the axle nut. Not sure what exactly this means. There is a metal ring on top of that nut that at one point is pushed into a gap of an inner circle. Do I have to force that part of the metal ring out? Somebody in this group in a past post wrote: “ remove the crimp on the axle nut”. Does he mean the same thing as “unstake”? Also a question about the boot clamps installation. The Haynes mentions a special banding tool to do it. Do I need it? How else can a tighten the clamp?
Thanks a lot. Yves

#2 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 02 October 2004 - 01:04 PM

Uncrimp=Unstake=put a small chisel or screwdriver in the slot and pound it in until there is clearance to turn the nut.
Make sure you're following all precautions when working with this as it effects the bearings.
I never elected to re-boot an axle. You might check into the price of a re-manufactured half shaft. Easier and less messy to put in. Replace the outer
seal(s) if you go this route.
Good Luck.

#3 tcspeer

tcspeer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Walnut Springs

Posted 02 October 2004 - 11:37 PM

Good advice from SevenSisters, it is not much money for the whole axle. I am thinking around sixty dollars.

#4 Surfdougyfresh

Surfdougyfresh

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Middle East

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:12 AM

no need for the special banding tool. draw the metal band tight with a flathead anchoring the collar and pliars pulling the free end tight. Once tight, fold the free end back on itself and crimp the whole thing down by making an X with the flathead and a hammer on top of the collar. It's been holding for me...

#5 eastwestboy

eastwestboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • canada

Posted 04 October 2004 - 02:00 PM

Problem is here in Canada the cheapest axle I can get is $166. Order from the US and customs/agents will have a new trick to get more money. Other problem is I don’t understand the principle of axle removal (for just boot replacement) Remove axle nut, diconnect control arm from steering knuckle, then (says Haynes) pull the driveaxle out of the steering knuckle (do they mean out of the hub?). THEN I guess I could remove the outer boot and slide a new one in? They say “disengange the inner end of the transaxale from the transaxle”. Why should I do this for replacing the outer boot?
Thanks from Yves.

#6 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:03 AM

You remove the axle from the car because it's 100,000 times easier to work on when it's on a bench.Removing axles become easier the more times you do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users