Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help fast!! (problem solved)

Are there more fuses than just under the steering wheel??? I just put a new starter in and now I have no power at all. I turn the key and nothin happens!! I checked for continunity between the major cables that go from the battery to the starter and there all good. The battery has the full 12V also. I don't know what to do next???

Are there more fuses than just under the steering wheel??? I just put a new starter in and now I have no power at all. I turn the key and nothin happens!! I checked for continunity between the major cables that go from the battery to the starter and there all good. The battery has the full 12V also. I don't know what to do next???
There are the fusible links on the left(? as viewed from driver's seat) engine compartment on/near strut tower.

Dumb question: Did you get the spade connector on the starter reconnected? Do you get voltage to this wire when the key is turned to start?

Also, standard answer to check and recheck all grounds.

There are the fusible links on the left(? as viewed from driver's seat) engine compartment on/near strut tower.

Dumb question: Did you get the spade connector on the starter reconnected? Do you get voltage to this wire when the key is turned to start?

Also, standard answer to check and recheck all grounds.

There are three connections am I correct? One from the positive of the battery to the starter, one from the negative to the top bolt of the starter, and the little one that goes from the starter to inside the dash. The reason I asked about the fuses is because I accidentally sparked the battery wires when trying to connect to the starter. I checked the fusable links and they are fine.

What year is the vehicle?

My 83's have the fusible links in a little gray box mounted just behind the battery on the passenger side fender. My 81 just has them hanging inline on the wiring harness off the battery. Don't know about the links on the EA82 cars. IF you sparked the battery wires, odds are you cooked a fusible link. Check to make sure you have power at the little spade connector with the key turned to start. If you do, then odds are you have a bad starter (been known to happen). If not, then you've probably got a bad fusible link (assuming that all the fuses are good, and they should be).

What year is the vehicle?

My 83's have the fusible links in a little gray box mounted just behind the battery on the passenger side fender. My 81 just has them hanging inline on the wiring harness off the battery. Don't know about the links on the EA82 cars. IF you sparked the battery wires, odds are you cooked a fusible link. Check to make sure you have power at the little spade connector with the key turned to start. If you do, then odds are you have a bad starter (been known to happen). If not, then you've probably got a bad fusible link (assuming that all the fuses are good, and they should be).

Shouldn't be any connection between battery-to-starter power cables and fuse/fusible link.

And agree about battery post connections... physical connection does not imply electrical connection.

Yes, 3 connections to starter: Power, Ground, solenoid wire. And, again, check the voltage at the spade solenoid wire when key is turned to "start".

Also, try running "hot" wire from battery post to starter's spade connector (out of gear, please!).

And I have gotten DOA starters, so definitely don't rule that out.

When I turn the key, no lights or anything come on. No interior lights or headlights or anything electrical works. I checked all 3 fusable links with a continuity tester and they all have no resistance. I even tried putting the old starter back in and there is still no power to anything so it can't be the new starter. Is there a way i can bypass the starter and somehow get electricity without it? Also, I have a feeling the main battery wires are slightly bad because when i check the voltage at the battery, its 12V but at the ends of the wires (at the starter) its about 10V. I know that this is a problem but it should still be lighting the interior dimmly, shouldnt it??? I don't think that low voltage would stop all electricity from working.

Sorry I'm not too familiar with mechanical terminology because i am not a mechanic (and far from it). But the "Spade" wire you are refering to... Is that the wire that slides on the starter?

I just ran a hot wire from the battery to the the small connector and it clicks really loud but does not try to turn over, but i dont think it would due to the fact there is no electricity to any other place in the car.