Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

my xt is dieing...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tokko

tokko

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Honolulu

Posted 16 August 2003 - 12:22 PM

Hi, Aloha from Hawaii. This is my first post.

My Subaru is 86 XT GL.
She got sick and overheat this week. Finally, huge white smoke came out and I found oil mixed with water in radiator.
My mecanic told me to get rid of her...
My friend is still trying to fix for me. He said he would work with gasket for now...
Is there any hope that my Subaru can survive? Or engine have to be replaced? Please advise.

#2 RedLance

RedLance

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Crete, NE

Posted 16 August 2003 - 01:23 PM

Sounds like all you did was blow a head gasket. This is a fairly common thing for Subarus, it seems. While not a trivial repair, it's not all that bad either. A set of gaskets typically runs $200 to $300 depending on wether or not it's a turbo. But that includes every gasket you will need, and then some. If it were me, I'd fix her and drive her another 100,000 miles...I can't imagine there are that many XT's over there.

RedLance :-)

#3 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 16 August 2003 - 03:27 PM

Tok:

A couple of things to consider before doing anything on this car:

#1: Why did it overheat? Whatever caused it to overheat must be dealt with BEFORE doing your teardown. Better to figure it out now than after you install a rebuilt motor.

#2: How bad did it overheat? Head gaskets might only be the beginning if you really cooked it. You may have to recondition the heads (not a bad idea anyway) or even replace them.

It is very possible (if you reacted appropriately when it overheated), that a cooling system overhaul, and head gaskets is all it'll take to put you back in business. But you won't know for certain until you tear it down. A straight edge will tell you immediately if the head is warped.

If you are willing to invest that much time and effort to pull the old motor, you may as well be prepared to go all the way with it, even if it means rebuilding or replacing the old motor.

good luck, John

#4 tokko

tokko

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Honolulu

Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:47 PM

Mahalo (thank you) for those replied to me!

I am glad to know I still have a hope to keep her...
I will show him your idea and hope my Subaru will
run again near future. (Hopefully get repaired before the Bus on "strike" on Aug.27!)

Aloha, Tokko

#5 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,110 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 20 August 2003 - 03:01 AM

Ya... if you can take it on yourself you can get a pair of head gaskets pretty cheap from the dealer. I paid $25 each for them. While in there change cam seals, main seals, timing belts, oil and water pump seats and hoses.

If it overheated... also like others said, why? Could be Stuck thermostat, bad radiator, or lack of coolant (maybe other things, but those are the common reasons)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users