Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mandatory maintenance on a used Subaru...?

If I were to buy a used Subaru with, say, 120,000 miles on it, and I had a little cash to put into it, what services would you guys recommend doing to the car, even in there was no apparent problem with the component?

I've heard alot of head gasket and timing belt issues, as well as oil seals and the like.

So if you picked up a used Sub that ran great but had an incomplete maintenence record, what things would you automatically want to do to it rightoff the bat? I'm talking the big stuff, and I'm getting a manual trans and probably the 2.2L engine, as well.

If you can list approximate prices for these services that would be fantastic as well.

Thanks!

Chuck

Timing belt for sure, probably time for the cam, oil pump and crank seals. Change the oil and filter, change the air filter, change ALL the coolant hoses and accessory drive belts, flush the cooling system and refill with new coolant, change the PCV valve and inspect its hoses, inspect the brakes and probably flush the brake fluid, change the gear oil in the transmission and rear differential, inspect all the CV axles and boots for defects.... that's all I can think of right now.

Edit: As for prices, the T-belt will run you like $100, and the other stuff is a $5 here and $10 there sort of thing. CV axles, if they need replacement, are also in the same price range as a timing belt.

Best of luck!:)

Is the timing belt an easy replacement for a casual mechanic? I know how to work on stuff, I just don't have all the tools to do many of the jobs...

The "tune-up" items are a given, what I was talking about was the majors, like the tranny fluid and diff fluid changes, and the cam/crank seals-stuff I may not be able to do myself in my garage and that has substantial repair costs and/or consequences if left unrepaired.

How well do the CV axles hold up on Subs?

C7

The timing belt should be doable by a "casual mechanic" if you pick up a service manual. No special tools should be needed.

Others can fill in information regarding the seals. I haven't done any on newer soobs (I'm a bit of an old-gen diehard). If they are similar to the EA-series engines, they're relatively easy to replace as well.

CV axles on subarus hold up about as well as on any other car that uses them.

Hi,

Just to add - change power steering fluid as well. It will prolong the life of the rack. This comes from my experience with saabs. most people do not bother with it and then face replacement of power steering racks. I do not know whether subarus racks are better or not but its the same thing as with the brake fluid. both of these fluids are hydroscopic and consequently water in the system does its damage.

Best regards

Dusan

I'm thinking about buying a Sub that's a couple of years older than I what can really afford and dropping up to $1000 into it. The way I figure, if I buy a '98 I'll have to spend my whole wad and worry about maintenance issues, but if I buy a nice '96 I'll be able to get any major problems diagnosed and fixed right off the bat and end up with a better car in the end.

Please tell me if you think my logic is flawed. If I find a car that needs a couple of things like a clutch, t-belt or crank seals, or they can't provide documentation of maintenance, I can get it out of the way and then not worry about it. Obviously I'm going to have the car checked out for problems BEFORE I buy it, and I won't buy a "fix-up" car either, but I want some confidence in my car.

Chuck