Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another cv question....yes i searched, and read many

i think i am having the same problem that one cat had not to long ago...let's see,i can drive her.she clicks going straight and in turns.the boot looked funky,but seems to be normal at times.seems to be coming from left front(incidentally the same side i dumped her on when i lost my wheel)did the rebuilder just not put that clip back and got hyperextended.good boots, almost new.safest bet a rebuild?both inner and outer?would love to go to cvaxles .com but funds are tight.how do i know what is going on?thanks brian

if it's clicking then a new boot or grease won't matter. actually sometimes adding grease will mitigate clicking...but yours is still sealed. is grease leaking out the side of the clamp?

normally i'd say keep driving, as i've gone 50,000 + miles on busted boots and clicking joints. but the fact that you had a minor accident on that side and the boot is still good and it's clicking while going straight....sounds strange. i had a brand new axle (week or two old maybe) blow up on me a year and a half ago so anything is possible i guess.

i'd say safest bet is to fix it. but i'll also be honest and say in my college days i wouldn't have done anything about it myself. like i said, i've driven 50,000 miles at least on axles more than once with no problems. i have two busted boots right now (one rear one left) and i have no plans to address them anytime soon. probably by summer, 20,000 miles from now i might look at the front.

if it's clicking then a new boot or grease won't matter. actually sometimes adding grease will mitigate clicking...but yours is still sealed. is grease leaking out the side of the clamp?

normally i'd say keep driving, as i've gone 50,000 + miles on busted boots and clicking joints. but the fact that you had a minor accident on that side and the boot is still good and it's clicking while going straight....sounds strange. i had a brand new axle (week or two old maybe) blow up on me a year and a half ago so anything is possible i guess.

i'd say safest bet is to fix it. but i'll also be honest and say in my college days i wouldn't have done anything about it myself. like i said, i've driven 50,000 miles at least on axles more than once with no problems. i have two busted boots right now (one rear one left) and i have no plans to address them anytime soon. probably by summer, 20,000 miles from now i might look at the front.

should be able to pick up a used one for next to nothing, couple dollars or even free. heck, i'd take a non-clicking axle with a broken boot over one with all that clicking.

So, your "new" axle was already in place when you had your "incident"?

I learned from Mr Kevin at CVO that the outer joints can be damaged by impact.. like hitting a pothole too fast. Thats one of the broken things on the axle he rebuilt for me that I swapped out in the parking lot.

You said you lost a wheel and "dumped it"? That short of jarring could've broken the cage like it did on mine. That busted cage was the cause of the clicking going straight in my case.