Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The illusive factory Black turbo wagon, FOUND! need help too

picked up my free wagon yesterday, little rusty aroudn the rears and frame rails, not bad though. hood and drivers front fender have been swapped at some point you can tell by the red and white underneath the black. (she hit a deer)

at any rate its a 88' gl-10 full-time 4wd turbo wagon (automatic bleh) factory black with grey interior and rear disc brakes. didn't look for the lsd..

the lady told me it broke a t-belt and her husband put another one on and it never did run again. and they had a problem with the turbo??

so i get it home, tear it down, of course he didn't rotate the engine 180 when puttin the pass. side belt on. so i fixed that, pulled the plugs, blew AF out of #1. so next i checked the compression, 120psi on all 4 dead on. no coolant in the oil either, so i stick new plugs, starter, etc in it. he also had the #2 and 4 plug wires wrong on the cap. fixed that.

now for the problem.

It will sit there and crank exactly as it should, (sounds normal too) but not even hit at all. i verified spark and fuel as well. sprayed enough starting fluid in it to blow the heads off. got nothing. so for the heck of it i put the plug wires on 1 2 3 4 in that fireing order, nothing, still cranked and sounded like a normal cranking engine should. Disty is turning as well as the torque converter and cams, so nothing is broke internaly. (no knocking either)

everything is hooked up and working as far as i can tell. i have no clue what to look for next. any ideas?

thought about pullin the turbo and tryin it again in hopes the turbo is frze up not lettin it start, but not sure that would do it though..

HELP!! please....

did you verify spark? if the wires were on wrong he could have left the rotor off when he put it back together.

when you cycle the key do you get the fuel pump to come on, it should humm for a second or two.

after that it should work, all you need are spark, fuel and compression, air is also nice, but usually not an issue, but check the air filter anyway.

good luck

yeha, fuel pump is good, filter is good, spark is good, disty is good, finally got it goin, has a blown HG so runs on 3 cyl. dunno how the compression was good tho.. backfires, etc.. gotta rip her guts out and fix it..

found lots of rust in the back cargo compartments and a couple small holes in the frame rails... got her up to about 45mph, trans shifts pretty good.. worth fixing i suppose.. that or gut her out for parts.

yeha, fuel pump is good, filter is good, spark is good, disty is good, finally got it goin, has a blown HG so runs on 3 cyl. dunno how the compression was good tho.. backfires, etc.. gotta rip her guts out and fix it..

found lots of rust in the back cargo compartments and a couple small holes in the frame rails... got her up to about 45mph, trans shifts pretty good.. worth fixing i suppose.. that or gut her out for parts.

Dude....i send you a PM.