Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am the original owner of a 1998 Legacy GT with 78K miles. I just had the rotors and brake pads replaced. My Subaru tech told me that the backing plates are in poor condition. He cleaned off as much rust as possible, but they will have to be replaced at some point for a cost of $1,000.00.

I have had many, many expensive mechanical problems with this vehicle to the point that I want to get rid of it before I have to put any more money into it.

How long can I expect the backing plates to last? How will I know when they need to be replaced?

Any advice anyone may have will be most appreciated.

First, welcome to the board. Second, thisshould be in the new generation section, not the old. Third, even though I am not familiar with the legitimate prices for the stated part, that seems inordinate, and e-bay or a local wrecking yard will certainly allow you to retain your vehicle. Don't despair. There are always better answers than some mechanics will offer.

If the backing plates are in such bad condition, I'm surprised he didn't first clean them thoroughly, and then spray paint them with a rust inhibiting coating to maximize their remaining life. Frankly, I think he's full of it. I've pulled backing plates off cars that are over 20 years old that were rusted but still structurally sound. Certainly backing plates from a wrecking yard wouldn't cost nearly that much.

I'm more concerned with your other comment about how much money you've put into the car. I bought my '91 Legacy with 98K on it and have since put over 40K miles on it; the only maintainence it's required were brake pads and routine oil changes. I did bring it to our local independent shop for a "minor" scheduled service to the tune of $300 but nothing more. I'm due for the timing belt service shortly and expect that to run around $600. Either you're very unlucky with your vehicle or your mechanic is taking you for a ride. Sorry to be so blunt about that and I have to admit I don't know anything about the newer models. You might pose this question on the New Gen forum and outline some of your cost/service history so others could either let you know whether that's normal or excessive.

Welcome to the USMB. Hopefully your future experience with your Subaru will be more pleasant.

Backing plate....is this on the front or rear? If they're what I'm thinking of, the front's just bolt on....shouldn't cost you more then a few bucks from the junkyard.

The rears need to be pressed on. As long as the hub/backing plate that the parking brake bolts onto is not falling apart, I'd just leave it. If it's just the shroud surrounding the rotor, don't worry about it. I chiseled mine off to fit larger rotors.