Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tranny identification............1990 legacy wagon.

Het there peeps, I just need some help identifying a tranny from a 1990 lgacy wagon, a sticker in cabin says full time 4wd, how is that different than AWD? heres the tranny code: TY752VA1AA ; VIN: JF2BJ63C3LG901388, any help would be much appreciated, any info regarding the exact difference between AWD and Fulltime-4WD.

THanks everyone,

~Josh~

Josh,

The terms 'Full Time 4WD' from the early Legacies and 'AWD' from the current models are simply 2 different terms for the same technology. Until the Outback VDC came along, there weren't any significant changes to the 4WD/AWD systems used in the Legacy/Outback cars. I think the change to the term AWD was mostly a marketing strategy because other brands were using it.

nice, just need a second opinion in addition to your statement subaron. You know do research first, then do the actual work, also, that 1990 legacy is OBD-1 right? I just thought of this yesterday, I need a darned O2 sensor for my EJ22-86' GL swap, might just gank it off the 1990......hmmm,..... or better yet, JY..............i love JY's.

~Josh~

nice, just need a second opinion in addition to your statement subaron. You know do research first, then do the actual work, also, that 1990 legacy is OBD-1 right? I just thought of this yesterday, I need a darned O2 sensor for my EJ22-86' GL swap, might just gank it off the 1990......hmmm,..... or better yet, JY..............i love JY's.

~Josh~

The car uses OBD I diagnostics, no need for a scanner. The Check Engine Light (CEL) will clash the code to you when you go into diagnostic display mode. The 11 char of your VIN is G which indicates that you have the Full Time 4WD Manual transmission manufactured by Gunma. This is usually refered to on this board as the 5MT, as this was used for many years by Subaru. The main reason for this is that the tranny is all but indestructable. I really belongs in a truck. The O2 sensor can be found on the Y pipe coming out of the front of the cat, which is at the joint of the Y. You will need this Y pipe, just to make things simple. . .

awesome man, thanks for the info. just making sure i dont put wrong transmission in car, are the front diff gear ratios in a 1990 legacy wagon different than the ones in my 98 legacy L? i know ive seen some with 4.111 gears, 3.9 gears and 4.44 gears and so on and so forth......both cars are non-turbo BTW.

~Josh~

awesome man, thanks for the info. just making sure i dont put wrong transmission in car, are the front diff gear ratios in a 1990 legacy wagon different than the ones in my 98 legacy L? i know ive seen some with 4.111 gears, 3.9 gears and 4.44 gears and so on and so forth......both cars are non-turbo BTW.

~Josh~

That I'm not sure of, my info does not go into that particular detail. I would suspect that they are the same, as they are both AWD, and both have the same engine (well almost the same engine), and they weigh just about the same. . .